Quantcast

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

contributions: 2
Greetings! I just know one of ya'll can help me with the issue I have been having with my 1970 F-100. I picked the truck up recently and am going to get it like a new one, haha, but I have noticed that after the initial start and I shut her off, it acts like there isn't enough juice to turn her over, like the starter is dragging and just when I am about to get the jumper cables,. whoom! fires up. Same things on the initial start, fires right up, like a champ. I have replaced everything, the battery, the voltage regulator, the relay, the starter, which when brought to my attention in another forum, did NOT have a heat shield and I am probably going to add forthright, but it seems like it must be something more than that. Could a bad cable get hot and maybe not conduct electricity properly? About the only things I haven't replaced are the cables because they "looked" like they were relatively new but, maybe that's the problem. Anyway, I would appreciate any experienced input on this as IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!, lol

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 1898
a battery cable could cause a problem like this, but more likely a hot starter or wrong ignition timing. you might also check to see how much play you have in your timing chain. (could also affect timing)

The best way to see what is happening is to measure the amp draw of your starter when it is acting sluggish, dragging. If your amp s go up to like 600 then you probably don't have a problem with your battery or cables. (you know, over 600 amps going to the starter that's enough power) If that's the case then check how much torque it takes to turn the engine over. With the key out of the ignition, use a socket and wrench on the crank bolt and see how much strength it takes you to turn the engine over. Try it cold, (before you run the engine for the day) then try it after the engine is acting up and the starter drags. (take the key out of the ignition and then see if it turns over the same as when the engine was cold or if it takes a lot more strength. if it feels about the same then it's probably not the engine that's causing it to drag.

to check for timing chain slack, take your distributor cap off. turn the crank until it comes up to the zero on the timing mark on the crank pulley. then slowly turn the crank backwards. watch your distributor rotor. as soon as you see it start to move stop turning the crank. Look at the timing marks on the pulley and see how many degrees did it move to start turning the distributor. that would be your timing chain slack. If it's over 10 degrees you should think about changing it soon. If it's okay then we're back to the starter. How warm is it getting? The older ford v8 motors have had this type of problem for a lot of years.

Ask A Question Reply