Quantcast

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply    Go to page 1, 2  Next

contributions: 12
Hi , I have 1986 Ford Bronco 351W HO. You may have heard of this before but I have ask many people about this and I have got many things that I should do and none have solve the problem so here it is, when I first crank it on any morning or night it cranks fine it doesn’t run hot but when go to the store or gas station and go inside for a few minutes and come back to it cranks slow and slow and slow and then it turn over fast and crank up fine. Now I have a new battery, new cables, new dist, wires, plugs, starter (Mimi tort starter) Control Module, set timing at 10 degrees, new carburetor Holly 650 and none of this has change this at all. Some people say that this is just the way old fords crank but I believe there is something that causes this problem.

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 1903
couple of things you may want to look at. You're going to have to measure the cranking amps for when it turns over slowly compared to when it turns over normal. 1. You may have a starter that is dragging when it gets hot. Most parts places have a heat shield or cover you could put between you starter and the exhaust manifold it the starter is getting too hot too. 2. or you could just have a bad starter.

do a voltage drop test between the negative battery post and engine block or starter case and see if you have too much resistance from your battery cables too.

Thank for your reply, I did a voltage test one time and it drop when cranking to 7 volts but it still crank in a minute. I heard that it might be a heat soaked starter so I drove a bit stopped and crank it and got out to see if it was getting hot and put my hand on the starter (maybe not so smart) from under the truck and it wasn’t that hot to me.
Maybe a heat rap could help I try every thing else.

Attachment:
File comment: 1986 Ford Bronco.
Bronco.JPG
Bronco.JPG [ 17.1 KiB | Viewed 2443 times ]

This is what iam waiting on, some one who said i had a truck or car and it done the same thing and it was the!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachment:
motor.JPG
motor.JPG [ 32.1 KiB | Viewed 2426 times ]

Attachment:
Granddad.JPG
Granddad.JPG [ 21.75 KiB | Viewed 2424 times ]

Attachment:
Lindale,Ga..JPG
Lindale,Ga..JPG [ 32.16 KiB | Viewed 2423 times ]