Quantcast

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

contributions: 8
I have a 1997 Sable that is due for spark plug replacement and wires. Mileage is 99,323. I think definitely because sometimes the engine shakes for a few seconds when I start the car, and then smoothes out. I have already replaced the PCV, the IAC Valve, and have cleaned the intake manifold, and MAF sensor. The car has the 3.0V6 Vulcan.

The three spark plugs in the front are easily accessible but the three in the rear look difficult. I have a spark plug socket, ratchet, and ratchet extension. Would I be able to replace these and the wires, myself easily, or should I pay $200 for a professional to do the work?

Do you also recommend Anti-Seize gel and Dielectric Grease? Thanks.

Btw, I have read in other forums that many people say that the 3.0V6 Vulcan is a very reliable engine. True?

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 1918
what is the 8th letter in your vin code? Is it a "U" (single overhead cam) or "S" (dual overhead cam)

book time for doing the plugs is 1 hour for single overhead cam and 1.7 hours for the DOHC. (The DOHC would be for the taurus SHO)

Dielectric grease is good in moderation for your spark plug boots. never-seize can be used on spark plugs that have black metal threads but not needed unless you live where there is a problem with rust. Never-seize is not recommended for plugs with silver metal threads. They have stuff made in the metal so you don't need it.

A misfire on a cold start up that goes away after it starts to warm up could be a sign of a secondary misfire from spark plugs or wires. When the engine is cold it puts more stress on the ignition system. Spark will look for the path of least resistance, so any small crack in the wires or a plug will look to jump to ground rather than jump the spark plug gap.

It could also be a misfire due to coolant being a cylinder on start up. It burns off as the engine runs, miss goes away.Keep an eye on your coolant usage.

Ask A Question Reply