Quantcast

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

contributions: 4
96 ford thunderbird lx 4.6 engine v8. Could one bad fuel injector cause my engine to shut off when put in drive or reverse but only when the engine is warm?

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 665
I guess anything's possible, but I highly doubt only one bad injector can cause your vehicle to die out. It would have to be completely stuck open and flooding the cylinder out, but even that's probably not enough to kill the car. Now, the wiring to the injector is another story. If you've got a direct short to or at one of the fuel injectors, then sure, it could possibly make the car stall. This would be pretty rare, so I'm betting you have another issue making your vehicle act up.

GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Any idea what else could be causing this? Computer reads cylinder 3 misfire thats the only code that it shows. Replaced the spark plugs and wires and coils. It run fine in park and I can put it in drive but as soon as the engine warms up it will die unless I floor the gas pedal. Then once it dies I can start it again no problem but now that the engine is warm as soon as I shift to drive or reverse it dies right away.

contributions: 665
Since you now mention a misfire condition, it might be worthwhile to check out the injector and/or wiring. If the ignition components you replaced are functioning properly, that really only leaves something like that or a mechanical issue inside the engine. You might want to try a compression test on all of the cylinders and see if any are low, especially the cylinder that show misfires and/or codes.

GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Ok I replaced the fuel injectors and had wiring checked but its still cuts off as soon as put in reverse and drive. But only when engine is warm. Any other ideas? Someone mentioned possibly a sensor.

Ask A Question Reply