All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

contributions: 11
Now that I got my van to start again an old problem that hadn't showed it ugly head until I cleaned and repaired oil leaks and cleaned trottle body. When starting in cold weather it idles rough and exhaust is white also a very bad oder is present from the looks of it I have a coolent leak I determined that it could be one of these bad head gasket , cracked head or egr spacer plate how do I pin point the problem ? Noticed that intake manifold and egr ports had more than just light carbon when cleaned.

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 665
If you're blowing white smoke out of the exhaust, that means you're burning coolant, so the most likely problem you're facing is a blown head gasket. A leakdown tester would come in handy to find out for sure, but not many people have access to one. If the engine has a lot of miles on it, or if it's been poorly maintained, you might not want to put any money into it. A big repair like replacing head gaskets can lead to a bottom end failure on old, worn out engines.

GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

contributions: 11
Thanks well I may not have to worry about it now driving less than 30 mph it just died on me not able to restart. Time to find someting better.

Ask A Question Reply