2003 blowing cold air

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
Blaskic

2003 blowing cold air

Unread post by Blaskic » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:52 pm

My2003 gmc sierra just had new heater core installed. My temp on truck when hot is 99 but all I get is cold air from vents no heat. Dual climate control...any ideas please...

carriedi

Re: 2003 blowing cold air

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:30 pm

If you just had the heater core replaced, I would take it back to the place that replaced it and have them check it out. I would think it would be under some kind of warranty. They might have forgotten to plug in the blend door motors or something. Why did you have the heater core replaced? was it leaking or was it because you didn't get any heat from the heater before?

after your truck is up to normal running temp, 99C vs 210F, check the two hoses that go to the heater core out in the hood area. Are both hoses hot? (do they feel like 99C coolant is flowing through both hoses?) If one hose is hot and the other hose is much cooler then you either have a blockage or an air pocket and the coolant is not flowing properly through the heater core. If both hoses are hot then you should look at the blend door operation.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Blaski

Unread post by Blaski » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:48 pm

The heater core was leaking and it was replaced by my husband. Back yard mechanic Lol. We are now getting lukewarm heat just wondering if there is a specific way to get any air blocks out of system.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:53 am

most of the time the air will eventually get pushed out by the water pressure at higher rpms. (2500-3000) It may take a while because it has to be with the thermostat open and higher rpms to push the air out and through the system.

You could put in a flushing tee into the heater line and manually fill it with coolant.

see if there is someplace that will rent you an air evac tool. Draining the coolant out and saving it, then using a tool to evacuate the air from the system and then letting the tool put the coolant back in is usually the fastest way to get the air out.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.