wiring or connection problem battery discharge

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
concord

wiring or connection problem battery discharge

Unread post by concord » Thu May 26, 2016 1:05 pm

the battery discharge in the night , i have to disconnect it every night
always there is some thing wrong , stop working , and come back again
normally in the morning when I attach the battery , or after restarting , but some times while running ,
some times together , some times separately
whippers
dashboard lights
fuel gauge
radio
heater
battery red light comes on

carriedi

Re: wiring or connection problem battery discharge

Unread post by carriedi » Fri May 27, 2016 10:46 am

I would start with having your battery, starter and charging system checked. you may have to take it to a shop and have those tests done. If that all checks out good then you will need a battery draw test. If it goes dead every "over night" then you may have to leave it with the shop. They will have to let the car sit with everything off for an hour for the computers to go into sleep mode and see what the battery draw is. If it is excessive they will need to try and find what circuit the draw is coming from.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

concord

Unread post by concord » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:32 pm

thanks
how can I do the test myself ?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:26 pm

you would need an inductive amp clamp and appropriate meter to read the amps being used by the vehicle while the vehicle has everything turned off. Put the clamp around the positive or negative cable to the battery. Since the current has to complete a circuit to cause a draw, the polarity on the battery doesn't make a difference, it has to get from one side of the battery to the other side to complete a circuit draw. The draw after all systems have gone into sleep mode should be .03 amps or less.

if the draw is more, then you have to start searching what circuit is causing the draw. The alternator could have some bad diodes that allow current to be drawn backwards through the alternator. There could be a computer relay stuck in the on position, or just not turning off. You could have a courtesy light that isn't turning off. You have to look for anything that could complete a circuit to the battery. Without and inductive amp clamp you would need a good ammeter. One that measures in actual amps but you can scale it to match what you are checking. Don't use a meter that says it measures mAmps because that's milli-amps and you will burn up the meter with the draws in a normal vehicle.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.