Parking Brake / E - Brake adjustment issue.

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
esthree04

Parking Brake / E - Brake adjustment issue.

Unread post by esthree04 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi. Having trouble getting my e brake on my 2002 Yukon tight. The cables are all maxed out when it comes to adjustment, and I have rebuilt the entire parking brake assembly in the rear, with the upgraded new style clips for the parking brake shoes. I read very misleading information saying you could insert a pin into the pedal itself, pump and release 3 times and that would take up the slight slack that is left in the system. I'm a mechanic myself, after trying this unsuccessfully and then looking at the system at first glance there doesn't seem to be any adjustment in the pedal itself. My question is this.... have I missed something in the pedal adjustment procedure? or should I just go back and expand the star wheel adjuster in the drum/rotor combo. It holds some weight, but not enough and is certainly not as tight as I would like. When I did adjust the rotor/drum combo i felt it had adequate drag, maybe i need to allow more drag on the rotor/drum. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ProTech

Re: Parking Brake / E - Brake adjustment issue.

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 pm

Basically, you go about it like you would with older drum brakes since the parking brake is the same type of design. You want to adjust the parking brake shoes first, with a slight bit of drag on the rotor. Then, and this is straight from GM...

1. Verify that the self adjuster lock-out pin has be removed.
2. Fully apply and release the park brake pedal 3 times.

After that you should have adequate parking brake feel. If not, adjust the shoes a bit tighter to your liking.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

esthree04

Unread post by esthree04 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:15 pm

ProTech wrote:Basically, you go about it like you would with older drum brakes since the parking brake is the same type of design. You want to adjust the parking brake shoes first, with a slight bit of drag on the rotor. Then, and this is straight from GM...
?
1. Verify that the self adjuster lock-out pin has be removed. <-- can i get a pic or description of that? This description ive found a million times with no specifics.
2. Fully apply and release the park brake pedal 3 times.

After that you should have adequate parking brake feel. If not, adjust the shoes a bit tighter to your liking.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 pm

There is no picture of it, but there is a pin in the pedal assembly itself that you can remove. It is by the adjuster mechanism. It's possible, if you don't have a pin in yours, that it has either come out on it's own, or was removed prior and never replaced, and thus you'll never get the proper emergency brake feel you want unless you replace the entire pedal assembly. It's really not that difficult, should take you five minutes. From all your posts, it seems you've spent way too much time on this.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

waleeed00

Unread post by waleeed00 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:31 am

It is by the adjuster mechanism. It's possible, if you don't have a pin in yours, that it has either come out on it's own, or was removed prior and never replaced, and thus you'll never get the proper emergency brake feel you want unless you replace the entire pedal assembly. It's really not that difficult, should take you five minutes. From all your posts, it seems you've spent way too much time on this.