'96 Jimmy 4.3L - No start at near freezing and colder temps

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
Nordic

'96 Jimmy 4.3L - No start at near freezing and colder temps

Unread post by Nordic » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:02 am

Starting is great and immediate from spring to fall, once we get close to freezing...no go. When this first happened it would only fire for a fraction of a second as I turned the ignition off. Having worked on vehicles from previous decades I think Aha that's a bad coil so without the electrical draw from the starter there's enough juice for sparks (the battery is new). I bought a new coil from NAPA but that made no difference. I didn't drive this vehicle last winter anyway but as soon as spring came around it would start and run as if nothing was ever wrong. If this is an indication of another weak component to do with producing sparks what do I look for, I don't want to spend money on parts I don't need. Thanks for your input.

carriedi

Re: '96 Jimmy 4.3L - No start at near freezing and colder te

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:04 pm

I would check your ignition coil for power and grounding through the ignition module. the coil works by having battery power while the engine is cranking and has the ground circuit cycling as the engine is cranked. you need to verify that both parts are working correctly while the engine is cranking. Once you find out what (if any) side is not working you can then test back from there
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Nordic

Re: '96 Jimmy 4.3L - No start at near freezing and colder te

Unread post by Nordic » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Thanks, I appreciate your expertise!