03 envoy. Thermostat OE temp

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
Cbvansickle

03 envoy. Thermostat OE temp

Unread post by Cbvansickle » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:11 pm

What is OE thermostat temp suppose to be for a 2003 gmc envoy with the 4.2. Inline 6. I see on different site it says 187. And some say 190. I believe my thermostat is stuck open. I get a po128 code. I replace cts sensor and still comes up. 1 part store has a 187 degree thermostat. Another. Has 190 degree. What is OE suppose to be. Thanks

carriedi

Re: 03 envoy. Thermostat OE temp

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:07 am

187 rounded off to the closest 10 degrees would be 190. three degrees... either one would meet the requirements for the PCM.

yes, most of the time the fix for P0128 is replace the thermostat.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Dexterwise

Unread post by Dexterwise » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:44 am

Sometimes, that code does not mean necessarily that the thermo is bad. Ensure the harness wire linking the sensor from the ECU is not open or shorted; check the coolant level, and the integrity of the coolant; and also if there is leakage in the cooling system.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:43 am

it is true that codes stored in the computer may not always be exactly what you would think it is. but that being said P0128 is set because the engine did not reach the temperature the computer is looking for within a designated time. (took too long to warm up) Using a scanner and a temp-gun, you can check to see if the temperature that the computer sees matches the temperature that the gun sees by the temp sensor. (tool most shops would have)

so, the most common answer to this code is the thermostat is stuck open. Book time is 1.1 hours labor to change the thermostat
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:46 pm

carriedi wrote:it is true that codes stored in the computer may not always be exactly what you would think it is. but that being said P0128 is set because the engine did not reach the temperature the computer is looking for within a designated time. (took too long to warm up) Using a scanner and a temp-gun, you can check to see if the temperature that the computer sees matches the temperature that the gun sees by the temp sensor. (tool most shops would have)

so, the most common answer to this code is the thermostat is stuck open. Book time is 1.1 hours labor to change the thermostat
I agree.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.