2003 GMC Sierra squealing and check engine light

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
kwj

2003 GMC Sierra squealing and check engine light

Unread post by kwj » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:40 pm

I have a 2003 1500 with a 4.8 liter engine. The check engine light is flashing and there is a loud squealing noise until the engine warms up. After it warms up the noise goes away and the truck runs fine but the check engine light is still flashing. I know it is not a belt or pulley because i ran the truck with no belts and it was still squealing.

carriedi

Re: 2003 GMC Sierra squealing and check engine light

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:55 am

you should have your engine scanned to see what the code is. when the check engine light is flashing, the computer is trying to tell you if you continue to drive you may damage your converter.

you should take your vehicle to a shop to see what the noise is. the squealing could be from something not getting lubricated and scoring the rubbing surfaces
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

kwj

Re: 2003 GMC Sierra squealing and check engine light

Unread post by kwj » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:45 pm

The squealing noise from a gap between the exhaust manifold and the engine. The gasket had come apart and the noise was produced like blowing on a blade of grass in your hands when you were a kid. There were 2 broken manifold bolts that caused the manifold to work away from the block. The check engine light was from a plugged converter and 2 sensors in the exhaust. Hopefully I'll have no more problems for another 300,000.