GMC Ignition Wires Wont Start

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
jlyoung

GMC Ignition Wires Wont Start

Unread post by jlyoung » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:16 pm

In surfing your site I was able to read the existing car problems and answers, however could not type in my problem nor find one exactly like mine. Here is my problem. The car motor stopped and I was told it would cost $500. to repair after I towed it into a AAA approved shop. The shop did not want to take the time and explain what needed to be fixed to I opted to get a second opinion. I had it towed home and the next morning did my regular maintenance check and added to it a finger pinch on the joined electrical connections that all come from a cluster connected to the ignition module. The car started and ran great for 2 weeks and then did the same thing. From there approximately 15 mechanics examined my car and all had a different opinion but none really knew what it was. Each time after the car sat for a while then it would start and run for a while and then again stop. It feels like a fuel tank issue but I had the fuel filter changed and some said ignition module but I had already replaced that. I could write a book and am trying to shorten my story.

Finally, last Friday I had an medical emergency that was about 8 miles away and got there by just adjusting the wires in the cluster going to the ignition module (I had already put the old one back in as the so called new one the mechanic had put in did not work) The car stopped on me about 10+ stops which including coming back. It stops more after the car warms up. One thing is wrong and I found it. It is the red wire in that cluster going into the ignition module and it was loose. When I pushed it back in then the car would start but then the movement of the car after a while would loosen it and the car would cut out flat again. One thing is that in forcing the car to run at some point I heard a growl which makes me concerned that I might have damaged my alternator.

NOW THE BIG question is this: what can you tell me about fixing the wire back? It does not seem to be damaged; just loose. Also, the reading on a $45.00 Home Depo purchased scanner was I think 332 which is the knocker #2 and reads that it has poor input which to me is the electrical but if you could tell me where the #2 sensor is then if after I fix the wire then I should change the sensor if I don't have to get the car up to high. Also, what should I buy to use as a cleaner on the wires? The job looks easy but do you think it is or should I just once again put myself in the hands of $##@. also, do you know of a sensor on this car that looks like a bracketed casing? The shop that put in the bad ignition modular also said they put in a sensor and gave me this type of looking bracket in a box as a old part. Also, I am a peaceful person however I wonder how you would handle a shop that just did not do the work needed and used what appears to be a used part. My lose is shy of $400. and he said to me that if I send the parts then he will send them in for a refund but said nothing about refunding the labor even though I told him my old part was working and back in the car.

I appreciate this opportunity to write to you and hope the following will help you in analyzing my problem. I checked the fuses and replaced two, battery connections replaced, replaced a vacuum hose, took heaviness off my key chain, looked up all the recalls on this model as I have not had the car that long (what is best way to deal with GMC because their diagnostic is expensive) They say I have to pay for all and then if GMC pays them then they pay me>:( there is only heat coming into the car from ac so according to the recall the door that switches and opens up below the ac needs to be replaced (is that a big job? any help with pictures for that job? ac does not work even though I have plenty of Freon only hot air comes out and there is a noise behind the dash board that indicates its the door. could it be something else?

I look forward to hearing from you and tool List I need for repairs would help as I am away from my home with very few.

Have a blessed day and life and thanks!

jly

carriedi

Re: GMC Ignition Wires Wont Start

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:42 am

wow, that is one very interesting story. Can you tell me the year, make, model and engine size that we are talking about? Once I know what we are working on I can get a better picture of what is going on.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

jly

Unread post by jly » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi, I forgot to put the make of my car (duhh) It is a 1998 olds intrigue 6 engine. The only thing I like about this car is the turbo burst, wow it really goes. Sorry, But I like fast cars. I am the one that wrote the post Re: GMC Ignition Wires won't start. thanks jly

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:26 pm

ok, this is the ignition control module wiring, which color wire is the one that keeps coming out?
Attachments
98 intrigue.jpg
98 intrigue.jpg (208.66 KiB) Viewed 5177 times

jly

Unread post by jly » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi, thanks it is the red one to the far left of the cluster when you are looking down at cluster

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:43 am

you might have to see if the pin on the wire harness can be adjusted or replaced so that it can be made to stay in the connector. the pin has a small piece that sticks out to hold it in the plastic connector. or the connector has a tab that locks the pin in place. you will have to have the connector looked at to see which style it is and if you need a new pin or if you need a new connector.

jly

Unread post by jly » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:14 pm

This electrical cluster is no longer available for purchase so I am stuck to fix it myself. Question: If I am successful after disassembly and repair will I need to reboot the computer or do anything else. By the way according to the diagram I could not find the red wire in the location I am seeing it. Was there another Intrigue 98 olds? If so, will you send me that? Thanks and have a blessed day. :roll:

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:30 pm

I don't know what you mean by cluster. if you are talking about the wire harness that connects to the ignition module that sends the signal for the coils to fire, NAPA sells a pigtail that you can splice in to replace the connector.

napa #EC494. it is not a very common item to go out so they may have to order it from a warehouse that is not local to your town, but they can get it. if the wires are the ones going to the ignition module, you don't need to reprogram anything. Just clear the codes if you have any and drive to see what everything does.

jly

Unread post by jly » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:07 pm

I am talking about a plastic approx. 5-6" long x 1/2" thick connector that the wires to the car are joined to the wires I believe then go into the ignition module. I don't know if the electrical plugs (which are off to the right hand side of this connector) are connected inside of this connector or not? Do you? Anyway it looks easy enough but I don't know until I get it opened. I am having trouble getting the new battery lose. Auto Zone's man may have put it in crooked so I hope the car will make it there tomorrow and then I am going to try and fix it there even if I have to use electrical tape to hold the wire for a short distance. I called it a cluster because all the electrical in the car is divided into groups of wires (clusters) and then joined with a plastic container and on the other end
inside the plastic the wires to the part of the car they are for are I am sure joined. I had read they are called a cluster. Most of them in the car are smaller but the one's (approx. 12+) going into the ignition module are the largest of all of them. I was unable to fine the red wire I have to fix with electrical map you sent. The red wire is the first one to the left when you are looking down into the car. Is that the right map for 98 olds intrigue? I think they had two intrigues out that year but my manual does not say anything but V6? If the other one is different can you send it? Would like to know what the red wire goes to. If it's not to do with the knocker sensor #2 then I will probably get a new reading or none :) at all . Thanks for all your help and have a blessed day. You sure are a blessing.