2004 yukon cut out while driving.

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
Baldskinner

2004 yukon cut out while driving.

Unread post by Baldskinner » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Ok now while driving the truck all of a sudden stop running without warning. Just cut out. Then started right back up and made it home. no more hicups. I have checked cables and battery. Except I will have to take to do a load test. What else could it be. It only has 58000 miles runs great other wise.

carriedi

Re: 2004 yukon cut out while driving.

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:49 pm

when you say started back up do you mean it started up by itself as you were rolling or do you mean that you turned the key and restarted the engine?

it is possible that you may have lost the crank signal for a while. which would tell the computer that your engine was not spinning so it would shut off the injectors. It could possibly be power connections but usually other things would also be affected if that was the case. but anything is possible

you might scan to see if codes or pending codes were stored. check mode 6 things that have not turned on the code yet but have been failing below the threshold set by the manufacturer.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Baldskinner

Unread post by Baldskinner » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:54 pm

I did have to turn the key and start it like normal.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:13 pm

there are a multitude of possibilities that could cause your glitch. the bad thing is that a tech would need to have your vehicle when it happens to see what it's missing. fuel, spark, injector pulse, power to the ECM... If your truck set a code, that could give a clue but most of the time when the engine shuts down like it did for you there aren't any codes.

everything would be a guess unless the problem is happening and you can see what the vehicle is doing.

Baldskinner

Unread post by Baldskinner » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:44 pm

carriedi wrote:there are a multitude of possibilities that could cause your glitch. the bad thing is that a tech would need to have your vehicle when it happens to see what it's missing. fuel, spark, injector pulse, power to the ECM... If your truck set a code, that could give a clue but most of the time when the engine shuts down like it did for you there aren't any codes.

everything would be a guess unless the problem is happening and you can see what the vehicle is doing.
Ok so if I plug in my after market code reader when it happens before I re start I will still not get any codes?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:38 am

you may not be looking for a code yet. what you want to do is look at the information your scanner shows you to see if something doesn't look right. If your scanner has a graphing capability you could graph your data stream.

if your fuel pump shuts down your O2 sensor will go lean. your engine may die before it can set a code. so there won't be a code stored but if you were graphing the data stream you could see your o2 sensor and fuel trims just before it died. Or if your crank sensor shorts to ground and turns off the engine. it may not store a code but you can compare graphs to see what happened just before the engine actually shut down. What you lost first. and it may be just a split second so you need to stretch out the graphs sometimes.