Not wanting to restart

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
Proffjp

Not wanting to restart

Unread post by Proffjp » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:06 pm

1998 GMC 1500 2wd 305 ci, starts great if the engine is cold, run to the store and come out and it cranks way too much before it finally turns over. Have replaced the starter ignition module, coil, rotor , and cap. Wires are not very old, plugs look good. Runs great when running. Mileage 209,345. Any help out there?

carriedi

Re: Not wanting to restart

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:04 am

you might want to have your coolant temperature sensor checked. if you are getting a cold reading from the sensor all the time it will want to flood when it is warm. Next time you have a long crank when it is warm try holding the gas pedal to the floor and see if it starts up faster. WOT, (wide open throttle) when you are cranking will shut off gas at the fuel injectors. If it starts faster you may have a flooding condition. Easy to check. You'll need a scanner to check the sensor. check it cold and also warm. verify that it matches the actual engine temp. There might be other things but this is an easy first check
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Cabover

Re: Not wanting to restart

Unread post by Cabover » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:03 pm

I had the same thing happen on a old Buick I enjoyed driving. I noticed the hotter the ambient temperature was the longer it took to restart it after driving it and turning off the engine. So one afternoon I drove the beast until the engine was good and hot and parked it and begin to check things and then after the Buick restarted I went to my mechanic and showed him what I had discovered.

It didn't take him long to diagnose the problem. It was the reluctor losing it's ability to make the circuit work properly after getting heat soaked.

So, I told him when I was though with the car I would bring it by to repair but after I was though with it I parked it at my wife's work (a wrecker service) hoping they would have time to tow the Buick before I did. In the meantime, the wrecker service had a vehicle sale and my Buick got sold in error by an fill in auctioneer.

There was some words of wisdom for that contractor but I couldn't say anything else to my wife's boss as he had treated me very right over the years.