No starting problem.

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
WHaagenstad

No starting problem.

Unread post by WHaagenstad » Sun May 12, 2013 2:55 pm

I have a '98 Sierra, some times when attempting to start the truck after setting for a few days, when opening the driver's door the dome light stays off and battery appears dead. The first time it did that, I charged battery and it worked fine for several weeks, then it did it again. After waiting a few minutes, the truck started OK. Is there an electronic relay or computer module that maybe causing this issue?

ProTech

Re: No starting problem.

Unread post by ProTech » Sun May 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Is the battery actually dead after it sits for a while? Does the dome light come back on normally when the truck starts fine after it sits for a few minutes? You could have a battery draw issue, or other module/wiring problem.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

WHaagenstad

Unread post by WHaagenstad » Tue May 14, 2013 7:44 pm

The first time it happened, I naturally thought the battery was dead, so I put a charger on it over several hours, the truck started fine. The second time the truck was dead, no dome light, radio read a different time than was supposed to be and no starter, my wife was trying to start the truck. She came into house to tell me, I went out and the truck started OK for me. I have since cleaned, treated cables and tightened terminal bolts. Truck is working OK at this time.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Tue May 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Awesome!
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+