94 Z71 extended cab with light problem

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
MaW

94 Z71 extended cab with light problem

Unread post by MaW » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:07 pm

Have a 94 GMC Z71 extended cab Just recently lost tail lights, dome lights, radio lights, and dash lights. Everything else lights work. Where should I look for the problem? Thanks for the help.

Karl

Re: 94 Z71 extended cab with light problem

Unread post by Karl » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:25 am

First thing to do is check all fuses. You may have one or more blown.
Let me know what you find.

MaW

Unread post by MaW » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:53 am

Thanks Karl, I did and found the courtesy fuse blown.... new one is in and got all interior lights back but still no parking lights....and the brake lights and headlights still work.... Rewired the trailer hitch cluster to clean it up a bit, but still nothing....All the other fuses were ok... Any other advice would be awesome ......

Karl

Unread post by Karl » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:31 pm

OK. If no parking lights, but the brake lights and headlights work, then you may have a bad headlight switch. Cycle the switch on and off several times very quickly. Do that a bunch of time. Sometimes this will clean the contacts within the switch.

If the style you have is the haedlights switch is part of the turn signal handle, work the t-signals the same way. Many times very quickly. Also hit the hazzard switch many times while doing this. If i remember correctly, the park lamps go through the turn signal circuits in the turn signal switch.

There are a few way to trace down the problem. You would need a schematic and testlight to start testing. First check for power going into the light sockets for the park lamp bulbs. If you have power, then that means you have a ground problem. If no power, then you are going to have to start testing for power out of the headlight/park light switch.
Read some SIMILAR questions down below for more help.
Check out our Photo Gallery

MaW

Unread post by MaW » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:48 pm

Karl, fixed the problem today with your help sir..... thankyou .... It was the switch and cracked the bezel getting it out but at least they make a thing called super glue....ha!! Passed state inspection and ready to roll now... thanks again