Sierra Engine Noise - Chirping , Squealing

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
032500HD

Sierra Engine Noise - Chirping , Squealing

Unread post by 032500HD » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:45 am

I have a constant noise, somewhat like a chirp, that I'm having trouble finding. I ran the car with both belts off and no noise. Then ran it with just the ac belt on, still no noise. Put a new serpintine belt, tensioner, and ider pulley on and it still makes the chirp noise. Any thoughts? I did notice a small puddle, aprx 4'', under the car this morning. Could the noise be coming from my water pump?

2003 GMC Sierra extended cab 2500hd 4x4, gas 6.0L
:?:

wildman

Re: Sierra Engine Noise - Chirping , Squealing

Unread post by wildman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 am

Could be the water pump, especially since you're seeing leakage. When you had the belt off did you shake the pulleys and idlers to check for play?
Idler pulleys and alternator bearings are the first place I look when there's rogue noises. Take a piece of small hose and use it to listen around the engine compartment. Be careful about getting clothes, fingers, or the hose around the moving parts. The hose will allow you to narrow down the general location of he sound.

But, if you're leaking it needs fixed even if not the source of the sound- they never get better, always worse. I would use a piece of cardboard under it and look exactly where it's leaking.
Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free

TerryAuto

Re: Sierra Engine Noise - Chirping , Squealing

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:18 am

032500HD wrote:I have a constant noise, somewhat like a chirp, that I'm having trouble finding. I ran the car with both belts off and no noise. Then ran it with just the ac belt on, still no noise. Put a new serpintine belt, tensioner, and ider pulley on and it still makes the chirp noise. Any thoughts? I did notice a small puddle, aprx 4'', under the car this morning. Could the noise be coming from my water pump?

2003 GMC Sierra extended cab 2500hd 4x4, gas 6.0L
:?:
Ya, i think the leaking water pump is your problem. Coolant contaminates the belt and makes it chirp.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.