1996 GMC squealing belt and low amps

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
shamus

1996 GMC squealing belt and low amps

Unread post by shamus » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:51 pm

have a 1996 gmc suburban k1500 1/2 ton 4w, the belt started squealing 2 weeks ago and the amps are dropping. i just replaced the belt and the tensioner also put on a new alternator, all the pulleys are free-spinning and clean. even put a straight edge on to make sure all the pulleys are aligned. what else can i check this is driving me nuts. :?

ProTech

Re: 1996 GMC squealing belt and low amps

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Even if all of the pulleys are free spinning, that doesn't mean there couldn't be a problem with one of the bearings on any of those pulleys. I've seen idler pulleys make this type of noise when the bearing goes out in them, and sometimes they won't make any noise without a load on them, such as the belt connected and engine running.

Just turning them by hand probably won't find the squeal. You might want to try listening to each pulley with a long screwdriver while the noise is happening, obviously NOT putting the screwdriver ON the pulley itself, but any metal it's attached to (bracket, component, etc). This is the easiest way to locate which area is causing the problem.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+