GMC Sierra 1996 TPS Sensor resistance info

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
MDion

GMC Sierra 1996 TPS Sensor resistance info

Unread post by MDion » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:19 pm

how to check if t p s is bad on 1996 GMC sierra 6.5 td engine shuts down and bad response?

Samjap4t

Re: t p s resistance info

Unread post by Samjap4t » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:38 pm

Best way is with a scanner that can show engine sensor data. Just watch its reading as you slowly press the gas pedal. Make sure the voltage reading goes up smoothly and does not drop off or jump around. You can also use a analog ohm meter in the same fashion. But, if it were bad, it would most likely set a check engine light and code.

listerofsmeg

1989 GMCsierra 1500SLE 5.7 v8

Unread post by listerofsmeg » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:01 pm

runs fine in park or at idle. go to put the truck in gear and it stalls out, will not take a load under power. I am thinking vacuum advance here, or the pcv egr or tranny vacuum regulator. guess I have a big morning coming my way. just don't know what to purchase first. Replaced some cracked old vacuum line, got two miles from home, did it again. Had to abandon truck and walk home with dog.

carriedi

Re: 1989 GMCsierra 1500SLE 5.7 v8

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:50 pm

stalled when you were driving or when you came to a stop? Don't mess with the vacuum advance unless you did something to it or you can verify that it is not working correctly. Why would you think vacuum advance would stall the engine?

How does the engine rev up when it is in park? can you get the rpms up like normal? (2500-3000) Does it die as soon as you put it in gear? like the trans is stuck or does it cough and sputter and stall? (like not enough fuel)

Have you scanned for codes?

could be a PCM problem. Could be an Idle air control problem. could be a tranny problem. (torque converter stays locked up when you come to a stop) Could be a shorted wire rubbed through somewhere.

because the car is not right in front of me so I can see it and hear it and see how it stalls out, I can't really be much help. There are many things that can cause an engine to stall. The computer controls the idle speed. It does that by allowing air to bypass the throttle plate. It should respond to the load on the engine. With a scanner you can watch to see if the IAC counts go up as you add load to the engine. By looking at the IAC counts at idle in park you can see if the IAC counts are too high indicating that the throttle is dirty and not letting enough air flow. How does your injector spray pattern look coming down your throttle body? Does the spray pattern look good and strong (solid spray and under good pressure). if you let it idle for some time does it get any better? Or have you always tried to put it in gear cold?

some vehicle have had the vehicle speed sensor act up and cause the torque converter to lock up at a stop. Or the torque converter could just be locked up anytime it is turned on.

sometimes the distributor goes bad. excessive shaft movement and/or bad pick up. Some ignition modules have had the wires break inside the distributor from flexing back and forth when the advance moves. Distributor is a very common problem with this motor. But you have to check everything out to determine what it is before you go replacing parts. It gets expensive replacing parts that you don't need.

wish I could be more help but it's hard not actually being there with the vehicle.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

listerofsmeg

Unread post by listerofsmeg » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:37 pm

Sooooooo, I'm looking for someone that would have been with a dealership or parts house back in the day. I am told if I got under my dash, near the steering column on my 89 sierra, I would find a plug with no wires leaving it. I was told to insert a piece of wire, top hole on right and third hole from right, and the check engine light would flash a code. Now I think someone was messing with me. found the plug, followed instructions, no flashing anything. trying to avoid coming up with 139 to "rent" a code reader from auto zone, but looks like that has to be first step. Unless someone has heard of this old school code flashing thing....?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:18 am

Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.