All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

I was driving my 98 88 Oldsmobile that when driving, sputters alot. I stopped yesterday and put $10 gas in the car. When I left the gas station, I got to a red light about 500 ft. away. As I waited for the light to change green, the car stalled out and now won't turn over? The more I try to start it, the worse it seems to get. It's to the point now that it doesn't even want to try to turn over, it now is starting to just make a clicking sound. Don't know what the problem could be?

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 2047
what does "won't turn over" mean to you?

there may be two different things going on here. Or maybe not... the engine sputtering and the stalling may be one part. (or may be a couple of things there) and the second part would be the the no start.

when you say it won't turn over, that's the engine being turned by the starter right? When you put the key to the start position the starter is supposed to turn (rotate) the engine. So before you got to the part where it would just click, what was the starter doing? Was it turning the engine over very slowly? Not turning the engine over? Grinding???

One thing that could cause all of these things could be a battery going dead. Not enough voltage to run the computer at the correct voltage. That could cause the engine to sputter and eventually stall. And that could also account for the not wanting to start afterward. A battery going dead would usually mean that your charging system is probably not charging the battery.

I don't know where you are at with your vehicle now, I hope not still in the street, but have you checked the battery? Try charging or jumping the battery and see if that makes any difference.

anyways that would be one of the first things to check.

Ask A Question Reply