olds delta 88 stalling issue

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
longlinerz

olds delta 88 stalling issue

Unread post by longlinerz » Sat May 16, 2015 1:05 pm

I have a 98 delta 88. When the outside temp is 85 or above the fuel pump starts whining. This gives me warning that it will stall at any moment. Usually the whining noise stops just before it stalls. Letting it sit for 15-20 minutes it starts right up. This whining noise seems to start when the engine temp goes above 200 degrees. I have checked the fuel pressure and that is good (50 psi). I did change the fuel filter, a lot of black crud came out of the filter when I disconnected it. There doesn't seem to be a time or mileage limit when this happens. I have flushed and changed the coolant. It is very difficult to read any error codes when this happens because it remedies itself so quickly. Any ideas or comments on this problem?

carriedi

Re: olds delta 88 stalling issue

Unread post by carriedi » Sat May 16, 2015 8:29 pm

It sounds like you might have a bad fuel pump. Normal engine temp should be around 200. That's usually the center of the gauge for most cars. (200-210) Electric fans usually start up around 220 and up. that should not affect the fuel pump making noise. If you can tell when the car is going to stall, drive with a fuel gauge on the vehicle and see if the fuel pressure drops when the engine stalls. The fuel pump is just an electric motor. Some make more noise than others. But, if yours always make more noise just before it stalls, with a fuel pressure gauge on it you can see if there is a problem with too much pressure (sticking fuel pressure regulator or something blocking the pressure) and that's why it's whining or it whining because it's dragging (making it hot) and will get slower until it stops running. After it cools back down it will run again.

A shorted furl injector will also cause an engine to shut off when it gets warm. An injector could run fine when it's cold but when it gets hot short to ground and take all the voltage from the other injectors killing the engine completely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41SZexc_ieE

A fuel
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.