89 cutlass highway problems

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
j4ml3

89 cutlass highway problems

Unread post by j4ml3 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:39 pm

Im working on my grandfathers 89 cutlass ciera 2.8 v6. The car will start right up and idle fine. When you ease on the gas to pull away it wants to die sometimes. But the major problem comes when driving at highway speeds 45-70 it jerks and bucks and surges. Only with normal throttle pressure. If you give heavy throttle it picks up and goes just fine. Ive checked the MAP sensor and the voltage output is within range, ive also checked the tps and the voltage output is slightly low but changes as its supposed to so i will adjust it up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

carriedi

Re: 89 cutlass highway problems

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:39 pm

check to make sure your egr valve is not opening up under light throttle.

I would drive with a scanner and see what the engine is doing. What are the fuel trims just before and when it is acting up. What is the Oxygen sensor doing? Make sure the air intake tube isn't letting unmetered air in. Make sure the MAF is not contaminated or blocked.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

j4ml3

Unread post by j4ml3 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:37 pm

I believe the egr is good. The tps voltage was only .09 when closed and i tried to set it around .4 but it would not allow it. It would only go to .09 or .61. Anyway i set it at the higher number and it helped alot im thinking it may be bad since i couldnt get it to adjust where i wanted. Also how would i go about checking the fuel trim on an obd1 car. Ive never fooled with fuel trim on any vehicles but i have no idea how to check that on obd1. Thanks for the help

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:41 am

on the older systems the fuel trim is called integrator for the short term and block learn for the long term. the perfect trim number is 128. higher than 128, the computer is adding fuel. Lower than 128 the computer is taking away fuel.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.