ac on a 2002 Olds Bravada

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
kj1956

ac on a 2002 Olds Bravada

Unread post by kj1956 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:34 am

I have a 2002 Olds Bravada I bought during cold weather.The ac works good sitting in driveway but the second I put it in gear it blows the ac fuse.Not sure where to start looking for the problem.Any suggestions?

carriedi

Re: ac on a 2002 Olds Bravada

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:44 am

from the description, I would look at the wiring to see if there is a short to ground worn through the AC circuit.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

kj1956

Unread post by kj1956 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:53 am

What is so strange about it is the ac works good till put in gear,so I unplugged the compressor itself ,turned ac on put in gear and it didn't shoot the fuse,plugged the compressor back up and it works fine till its put in gear.I thought the compressor was bad at first but don't understand why it only does it when I put in gear.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:58 pm

the fuse that blows, what does the fuse box label it as? HVAC1, HVAC-B, AC FUSE, IGN E, ENG FAN?

when you put the transmission in gear the engine moves. Make sure you don't have a wire that is getting pulled over a spot that wears the insulation away and short out your ac circuit.

You might want to use an inductive pick up probe and watch the amps that are running through your ac circuit fuse that has been blowing. See if the compressor clutch is drawing too much power and when you put it in gear it goes over the top. You have to see how many amps your system is using and how high does it go when you put it in drive. There are specialized tools like a power probe hook or a snap on inductive amp clamp that will measure the amp draw in a circuit.

kj1956

Unread post by kj1956 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:17 pm

The fuse is labeled ac 10a

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:13 pm

that fuse powers up the ac relay in the fuse box and then goes out as a dark green wire to the ac compressor coil. you should use an inductive amp probe and measure the current draw in the green wire right by the compressor's coil. Measure the draw and see how close it is to the rating on the fuse. Then put the trans in gear and see if the amps go higher or lower just before the fuse blows. If it goes higher, there is a problem with the coil drawing too much current. If it goes lower then something is taking current away from the circuit somewhere before the compressor. The green wire may be grounding somewhere or the relay may have too much resistance inside the relay contacts. More stuff to check out...

kj1956

Unread post by kj1956 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Well I bought more fuses and a circuit breaker today.Plugged in the circuit breaker and it shot first thing,moved all the wires,didn't see anything,pulled the box from the console moved all the wires didn't see anything,moved the shifter back and forth several times .Started it turned on the ac worked good,put it in gear ac still worked ,went out moved wires again,drove up the road and back ac working good.I guess it will do it again sometime but for now its working.Thanks for all the info.