Engine sounds like it is racing, but RPMs normal

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Nord1120

Engine sounds like it is racing, but RPMs normal

Unread post by Nord1120 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:00 am

I have a 2003 Olds Bravada. When driving the engine fan sounds if it is racing. The RPMs are normal, the engine temp is fine, no warning lights are on. This happens whether in Park or in Drive . It was intermittent, but now most of the time, but not all. When I manually turn the fan blade it stops immediately, it seems tight. Also, the power to the car seems less than normal and it shifts a little late when accelerating. Could be the loud fax noise is clouding my judgement on this. I did see the transmission fluid was below the normal range- I checked it after driving for over an hour so it was a hot check and it was 3/8 inch below the bottom of the normal range. I added fluid but have not driven it since. Any ideas

carriedi

Re: Engine sounds like it is racing, but RPMs normal

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:46 pm

it could be that you have a thermostatic fan clutch that is stuck in the on position. the fan will make a lot of noise when on.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Nord1120

Re: Engine sounds like it is racing, but RPMs normal

Unread post by Nord1120 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:31 am

I replaced the fan clutch and all is good well. Thank you for your help. This site is great. Also found on U-tube video of how to replace it, which was key as many parts had to be loosened to get it out of the engine compartment. Obviously it was attached to the engine before the engine was dropped into the car. :D