Loss of function to Temperature and Fuel Guage's same time

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Bates1978

2001 Alero 3.4L Upper radiator hose swelling

Unread post by Bates1978 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:23 am

I just had the intake manifold gasket replaced due to over heating problem. the car ran fine for a week, and after flushing cooling system the upper radiator hose swells up. It seems like it is not passing the coolant through the radiator. The radiato r is hot on the upper radiaor hose side but warm towards the passenger side. The reservior tank is cold and lower rad hose is warm. What could be causing this. Never heated past the 3rd mark on dash.

ProTech

Re: 2001 Alero 3.4L Upper radiator hose swelling

Unread post by ProTech » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Could be a bad thermostat, or a plugged radiator. Or whoever did the intake gaskets maybe put something back incorrectly.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

opn6

Slows down and overheats

Unread post by opn6 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:12 pm

I have a 1994 cutlass ciera. I drive around all day with no problem. But sometime i can't get it over 45 mph and it will start it overheat. Also seems like the brakes are on as it slows down fast with no brakes applied. If the car sitting for a while all is well again. Whats up with that ???

carriedi

Re: Slows down and overheats

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:15 am

could be a damaged cat. you should hook up to a scanner and see what the data stream says when it is acting up
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

mikeseattle

Loss of function to Temperature and Fuel Guage's same time

Unread post by mikeseattle » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:35 pm

I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass. My problem is that recently we experience both the temperature guage and fuel guage stopped working. Up until this problem, we had occasionally experienced the fuel guage dropping to zero and returning on it own with long periods of fully functioning. I traced the fuse to position 37 in the under hood fuse box. It is listed as ac/bfc which to my understanding has to do with either the AC or cooling fans but seems to be used by other systems as well. Our AC is fine and functioning and there is no problem with overheating. Upon replacing the 10am fuse and turning the key, both guages return to function and read where expected for about 5-10 sec and then they blow the fuse. I have tested this several time with similar result. In researching this problem on the internet I came on advice that this is a typical problem for a number of GM models over the years and with the description of my situation to a T it pointed to a defective Dash Voltage Regulator or Voltage Limiter that perhaps can be found behind the instrument cluster. Upon check with several parts supplier and the local Chevrolet / Cadilac dealer parts department, there seems to be no such part nor had the parts manager ever hear of a similar problem.. My Haynes manual is of no help either. So does any one have more advice or knowledge to this problem? Help is greatly appreciated..... Mike

carriedi

Re: Loss of function to Temperature and Fuel Guage's same ti

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:15 am

the fuse that you are talking about (ac/bfc) is for the ac clutch relay and the body control module, it is the key on power for them (after the ignition switch is turned on)

you could try pulling the ac clutch relay out and see if the fuse stills blows or not. if it still blows you are going to have to look into your under hood fuse box. You may have a short inside the box itself. You may have to separate the circuits to see if the problem is in the wire that goes to the BCM. it is the pink wire that goes to the B9 pin on the BCM.

what you could do is take out the ac relay and unplug the BCM. Take out the fuse. turn on the key so the dash comes on. Use a volt meter and check the two prongs where the fuse came out from. There should be on side that has your keyed power. (you can verify by having someone turn the key on and off and see if the power go on and off as the key is moved) the other prong should show nothing. No power and no ground. If it does show a ground then you need to look for the short. If it shows that there is no ground the you may need to separate the two circuits and test them separately. You may have to to verify the ac clutch diode is normal. If you have an inductive amp meter you could check the amperage to the compressor coil when the ac turns on to see it it is using too much amps.

if the gauges work fine and the fuse doesn't blow with the ac relay out, plug the relay back in and unplug the compressor coil. see it it blows the fuse now or not. If it doesn't blow the fuse then you probably don't have a short to ground in the circuit but probably have a short in the coil.
Attachments
oldsmobile-ac-bcm-schematics.jpg
oldsmobile-ac-bcm-schematics.jpg (43.55 KiB) Viewed 3828 times

terrysmalley831

over flow boils

Unread post by terrysmalley831 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:56 am

my 1994 olds cutless ciera over flow starts to boil after driving it i am trying to figure it out maybe it is the thermostat, fan not working how does one test it, but does anyone know why it does not do it all the time.
subject over flow boiling.

carriedi

Re: over flow boils

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 pm

first thing is what does your temperature gauge show? does it look normal? if the temp is not overheating check your radiator cap. make sure it holds the pressure that the cap has on it.