Oldsmobile Alero leaking oil

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
tfortom

low idle when warm

Unread post by tfortom » Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 am

engine runs rough with idle @ 5-600 rpm when warm/hot. problem started after lifters were replaced. 4 different shops say "no problem,idle in spec". Car runs better when a/c -defrost on. any ideas??

ProTech

Re: low idle when warm

Unread post by ProTech » Mon May 20, 2013 3:22 pm

When you turn on the A/C or defrost the idle will ramp up a bit anyway, so it probably seems to run better that way. As for the rough running at idle, it's hard to say if in fact it is actually running rough. If you don't have any misfires, or hesitation/stumble, you probably don't have an issue. 500-600rpm is probably within range, but you didn't specify the year or engine of your oldsmobile, so I can't give you an exact answer.

Possibly it's fine, it just may seem to be a bit rougher than it was. You may be noticing the engine shake but sometimes it's normal as well. If you're not setting any codes, or having the car die out, it's probably ok like the other shops say. You can try and clean out the idle air control valve or the throttle body and see if that that helps any.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

dandettman

Engine Coolant Warning Light

Unread post by dandettman » Fri May 24, 2013 2:58 pm

My engine coolant warning light comes on for a few seconds and I hear my car chime. The light then turns off and there doesn't seem to be any further issues. This usually happens right after I start my car. The temperature gauge has never been in the red, hot end. This has happened about 3 times over the last month. Do I need to be worried about my car overheating or is it a sensor malfunctioning? It's a 2004 Alero with 142,000 miles on it.

ProTech

Re: Engine Coolant Warning Light

Unread post by ProTech » Fri May 24, 2013 7:49 pm

I've seen quite a few of the sensors go bad in the overflow reservoir. Check first to make sure the coolant level is satisfactory and if you continue to have issues, replace the level sensor.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

jlemke19792014

Oldsmobile Alero leaking oil

Unread post by jlemke19792014 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:48 am

I have a 2003 osmobile alero its leaking oil and we have to keep adding oil. Any idea what the problem might be?

carriedi

Re: Oldsmobile Alero leaking oil

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:09 pm

that would be a thing that someone should raise the car up in the air and see where if there is oil dripping from somewhere and try to see where it originated from. Oil cooler lings or adapter gasket are common things. valve cover gaskets, oil pan, rear main, oil pressure sender, oil filter... on and on. This is something that you need to visually find if there is a leak or if the engine is burning oil.

how often do you add 1 quart of oil? and How did you first find out you were low on oil and start checking it?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.