Pulsating RPM/steering wheel vibration

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
bojohepp

Pulsating RPM/steering wheel vibration

Unread post by bojohepp » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:59 pm

I have a 2000 olds silhouette Premere. When I start it i feel a steady vibration in the steering wheel and there is an intermittent pulsating on the RPMs. I don't notice either of these issues once I start driving. I do still feel the vibration in the wheel when I'm at a stop light. Sometimes after i start the van, it will die on me, but not every time. I've had it scanned and it indicated there was an issue with the fuel system, but gave no specifics. Any ideas what this might be? Please advise. Thanks.

carriedi

Re: Pulsating RPM/steering wheel vibration

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:32 pm

what about your scan made you think it had a fuel problem? did it have any codes? if so, what were the codes? did the fuel trims look normal? what were the O2 sensors doing? Did you check your manifold vacuum? when you say the RPM is pulsating, what rpms does it go up and down from?

surging idle could be a bunch of things. does it do it in park and in gear? Does it do it only in gear? does it do only in park or neutral? The same goes for the vibration. A bad mount, broken exhaust hanger, Unmetered air (vacuum leak), bad fuel regulator, AC (defrost) cycling compressor, EGR problem,
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

bojohepp

Unread post by bojohepp » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks for your response. My friend scanned it where he works and showed me what it was reading, but I didn't write down any codes, etc. The RPMs usually pulsate from a little less than 1 to 1 1/2. The idle surges both in park and in gear. (notice it when I'm at a stop light/sign or when I'm sitting still in park) Haven't checked it in neutral yet. Sounds like there are several possibilities from what you mentioned. Thanks again.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:50 pm

I would check your fuel pressure regulator and for a vacuum leak first if there are no hard codes to look at.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

bojohepp

Unread post by bojohepp » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Will do. Thanks again for your assistance.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:29 pm

carriedi wrote:I would check your fuel pressure regulator and for a vacuum leak first if there are no hard codes to look at.
3400 fuel pressure regulator location
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.