Leaking antifreeze and sloshing sound in my dash...Ugh!

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Cspradlin18

Leaking antifreeze and sloshing sound in my dash...Ugh!

Unread post by Cspradlin18 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:38 pm

So, where do I begin!
My 1996 Oldsmobile Bravada Truck started with low coolant levels and I filled it back up and every since then I have had a coolant leak. I just got a new waterpump put on and before that, no one could find out what was wrong with my truck. No one knew where the leak was coming from. For the most part, there are no signs of an internal leak. No white smoke, no air bubbles on my oil stick and nothing white under my oil cap. Every morning, I check my fluids and if there are any fluids on the ground. My fluids are always low and it takes 1-2 cups of antifreeze a day. This problem is sooooo annoying, someone PLEASE HELP! The water pump has not changed my coolant leak. I thought it could be a hose/clamp but I had a guy check it out and he said it looked good. There is never anything in my overflow either whether its hot or cold. There is also this sloshing like noise in my dash and its everyday when I accelerate and brake.
PLEASE HELP!!! :cry:

TerryAuto

Re: Leaking antifreeze and sloshing sound in my dash...Ugh!

Unread post by TerryAuto » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:18 pm

Most likely the cause of your loss of coolant on your Oldsmobile is from leaking intake manifold gaskets. Very common. The Vortec 4.3L engine is know for this. The gasket deteriorate and cause an external leak and also internally. Most of the time you will never see any antifreeze on the ground because it burns away on the motor. Even internally, it is a small enough amount that you will not see any smoke from the exhaust or contaminated oil.

The sloshing noise you are hearing is the fact that there is air in the cooling system. The air bubbles are rushing through the heater core in the dash, and so you hear it. Once the leak is fixed, the system will need to be purged or air for the sound to stop.

Cspradlin18

Re: Leaking antifreeze and sloshing sound in my dash...Ugh!

Unread post by Cspradlin18 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Thanks for your insight. I did forget to add that when I bought the truck from my father in law in January of 2013, he replaced a few things including the intake manifold gaskets and the radiator. I bought it with 150,000 miles and I love the truck but I am having the worst luck.
Oh and also, every morning before I go to work, I look under my truck for any leaks on the ground and every morning, there is. So I was told it was the water pump. It only leaks when it sits for an extended period of time, such as overnight.
I surely will get the sloshing like problem fixed soon. Thanks a lot for your help! :)