Olds Alero wont start or turn over, gauges go crazy

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
whitea5

Olds Alero wont start or turn over, gauges go crazy

Unread post by whitea5 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:08 am

I drove my car all night(multiple shut off and start ups), stopped to let a friend out and when I went to start it up it wouldn't even wind over at all, the cd player makes a weird clicking sound and ejected the cd, the gauges spun all around and maxed out even after I turned the key off and took it out. Tried to put the windows up and the trunk popped open. It is seriously like my car is possessed!! Has anyone had any similar issues? Please any help at all would be appreciated!

Oh, and its a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero 3.4 L V6 about 85 000 miles on it.. have been driving it for over a year and no major issues at all. Worked fine all night up until I tried to leave. Went back and tested the battery and it has a lot of charge left.

Also for the past couple months I have had some signal light issues, not sure if that is related to this problem or not. Sometimes when I drive my signal lights will not work, if I leave the car sit for a while or try restarting it a few times they will come back. It isnt the flasher switch as that has already been replaced and when my signal lights are out the 4 way flashers/caution lights still work.

Thanks again!!

carriedi

Re: Olds Alero wont start or turn over, gauges go crazy

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:20 pm

hook up a scanner and look at voltages. cluster, bcm see what the scanner sees when your car is acting up
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: Olds Alero wont start or turn over, gauges go crazy

Unread post by butchkaz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Your car has a low voltage problem. This will cause the buzzing, lighting problems, trunk pop, not starting, etc. Most likely you have a bad ignition switch. The ignition switch feeds power to most of the vehicles systems, fuses etc.

A test that usually works is to have the car running and tap on the head of the key with a small hammer or other object. This will usually cause electrical problem to occur if the ignition switch is bad.

I am talking about the ignition switch, not to be confused with the ignition key cylinder. The cylinder sits inside the switch, so tapping on the key can cause a bad switch to act up.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.