1998 intrigue missing and dying

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
wardxjc

1998 intrigue missing and dying

Unread post by wardxjc » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:11 pm

I have a 1998 Olds. Intrigue w/ 3800 engine. Its been running rough off and on for months. It will run fine for a week or so, then suddenley it will start missing and cutting out and even backfiring at times. It dies when hard braking and stopping. Then one day my wife went to start it and boom!!!!! The upper intake exploded. I replaced the intake and it runs the same. Ive replaced the coil packs and plug wires also. It has a trouble code for an o2 censor, but i dont think that would cause this would it? Any help would be very appriciated.

Meccboy

Re: 1998 intrigue missing and dying

Unread post by Meccboy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:27 pm

No, an oxygen sensor would not cause this.
Possibly a bad ignition module. That can cause the missfires and the backfire that caused the intake to blow.
Could also have a cran shaft position sensor problem, or leaking injectoctors.
Be sure to check the fuel pressure regulator for leaking fuel into its vacuum line. This would causw a rich condition, misfires, and possibly backfire to blow intake.

wardxjc

Unread post by wardxjc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:48 am

I had someone else tell me the crank sensor or the cam sensor, but wouldnt the car quit running, and shouldnt it show up in the trouble codes. It makes sense that it could be one of these sensors because they affect the timing, But I would think that it would be more obvious wouldnt it?

Meccboy

Unread post by Meccboy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:27 pm

Well, a cam sensor would not do this. And it would set a code.
Crank sensors can act funny. they usually cause a stall, but do not set a code.

wardxjc

Unread post by wardxjc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:34 pm

I have now changed the o2 sensor. When I first started the car it waa missing a lot at about 3000 rpm. I held it there for about a minute and it started running good. Drove it up the road and everything seemed fine. I let it set for a while and cool off and when I started it back up it was missing again. This time it did not smooth out. Not sure what I should change next.

Meccboy

Unread post by Meccboy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:54 am

HMMM.
Check that fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose for being full of gas.
:o