No Power Steering on 2001 Oldsmobile Alero

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Vas

No Power Steering on 2001 Oldsmobile Alero

Unread post by Vas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:33 pm

2000 Oldsmobile Alero Power steering.
I was stuck in snow, and my wheel was turning very easy; but when I start to drive I lost the power steering. So is very hard to drive the car now. It's this a cmputer or mecanical problem???

Scorftom

Re: No Power Steering

Unread post by Scorftom » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:36 pm

This car does not have electric power steering, so it would not be a computer problem..
Most likely the power steering pump shaft has broke.
Push and pull on the power steering pump pulley to see if t moves in and out more than an 1/8 inch or so. If it does, then the pump needs to be replaced, then the system bled of air.

annajodi

Re: No Power Steering on 2001 Oldsmobile Alerpo

Unread post by annajodi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:40 am

hi. i like it thanks for sharing this site.this is very informative post

Re: No Power Steering on 2001 Oldsmobile Alero

Unread post by Guest » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:14 pm

have a 2001 Olds Aurora, that steers fine (little effort ) when cold, but when it warms up the Steering acts like it is manual , actually it takes more effort to turn the wheel.
At high speed it seems to be ok.
Again , seems to steer fine when cold.
any Idea what could be the issue?
Has had new power steering pump installed ,new pressure hose, system properly bled of air.

carriedi

Re: No Power Steering on 2001 Oldsmobile Alero

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:36 pm

it sounds like your control valve in your power steering rack is bad. You would replace the rack for that. When it is cold the fluid is just a little thicker and the aluminum housing is in a contracted state. As the system warms up the aluminum expands more that the cast iron parts inside, the fluid get thinner as it warms up and fluid starts to bypass inside the valve. The power steering pump builds up the pressure for your steering but the control valve tells the pressure where where to go and how much.

when the tires are rolling it doesn't take a lot of effort to turn the steering wheel in most cars. The slower you go the more friction you feel to the tires dragging on the surface of the road. That's why at a stop it is the hardest to turn the wheel. You are actually dragging the tires on the pavement.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.