sliding door lock will not unlock manually or electrically

philfossil

Unread post by philfossil » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm

Can't fix with reprogramming and can hear solenoid try to unlock door. Don't know how to get to door lock hardware.

philfossil

Re: sliding door lock will not unlock manually or electrically

Unread post by philfossil » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Well I went back out and within 4 hours found out myself that by taking off the door panel (possibly easier by removing door from van - remove bolts under plastic 1" round covers) and examining the mechanism... it took me awhile to realize the rod from the rear latch of door was not positioning properly thus not allowing the locking mechanism to move to unlock position if locked.... it took me awhile again to finally decide that the two bends in the rod were shortening the rod thus causing the problem.... "reformed" (bent) rod back to a straighter form and thus it was longer and would reposition properly to allow the locking and unlocking mechanism to work properly
! ! ! ! YEAH ! !
The problem was probably caused by attempts to open door with the lock set (which is set automatically if engine running or not in Park)... these repeated attempts or maybe just using the door repeatedly (planned obsolescence). Hope this helps some other poor slightly inept blue moon mechanic.
PS good luck with the door handle retaining spring (omega shaped - upside down curly U) luckily mine popped off without breaking and I found it after it popped way off on my first attempt to replace it ... second time used narrow nose needle nose pliers to pull it slightly off while sliding handle on.