Chevy Suburban Starting Issues

ivanhoe

Chevy Suburban Starting Issues

Unread post by ivanhoe » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:50 pm

I have a 1989 chev. suburban with a 350ci and auto trans with 4x4. My question is what tools is needed to remove the fuel pump from the tank. It is winter where I am so any correct help would be helpful.

carriedi

Re: Chevy Suburban Starting Issues

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:16 pm

you shouldn't need any special tools. A deep socket for the gas tank straps. You may have to unbolt your drive line to move it over if you don't have clearance to drop the tank. Disconnect the hoses for the filler tubes. Disconnect the fuel lines and vapor lines and lower the tank. Once the tank is out there is a retaining ring that will come off with a large flat screwdriver and a hammer. gently tap around the collar. there are tabs that stick up that you can use the screw driver on to move it. Don't try to turn it from just one spot. Tap one one tab then move to another. work your way around the ring until it comes off. Going back on is a little tougher because you have to get the ring under the lip all the way around.

just make sure you clean off the top of the tank before you remove the unit. keep the dirt from getting in the tank.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

ivanhoe

Unread post by ivanhoe » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:51 pm

i DO APPRECIATE your help. I changed the fuel filter at that took care of the problem.

altalvis21

Unread post by altalvis21 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:44 pm

I have an issue with my 04 Suburban not starting on the first attempt. I've already done the plugs, wires, fuel and air filter. Hoping is not the fuel pump but trying to figure out what else can be tried before going that route. It normally starts on the second attempt right away and sometimes on the first but not very consistent. Any other help will be appreciated.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:47 pm

low fuel pressure is a common problem for a long crank or no start first crank. Fuel pressure should be 55-62 psi except for the vin code "Z" engine which fuel pressure should be 48-54 psi.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.