1996 Chev 1500 engine issues

DAV

Chevy Silverado 2004 Fuel Filling Problem

Unread post by DAV » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:19 am

How are you doing today? I have a 2004 Silverado that was produced in Canada, has the 4.8L eng. in it, and engine light is on. I have had a fuel filling problem for a while now that i have been putting off. I need to get this fixed because i am tired of taking 20-30 mins. at a time to fill my truck. Every time I fill gas it seems to me that there is an venting problem. As the filling station pumps fuel, and then shuts off as if my truck was full, then I have to pump it again and again constanly pulling the trigger back and forth.
I have replaced the purge valve solenoid on the intake manifold under the hood and the fuel press sensor on the fuel pump. I had pulled the codes from the comp. wrote them done but lost them. I will let you know when i can get it checked again. I believe it was a P0446/ evap code(s).

Thank you for advice in advance, Dave

Meccboy

Re: 04 Silverado: Fuel Filling Issues

Unread post by Meccboy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:50 pm

Sounds likeyou have a stuck Evap. Vent solenoid.
this i in the back of the truck. I believe there is a Service Bulletin (TSB) to replace the valve, a pipe, and install a filter. The dealer would have this kit, usually in stock.

DAV

Unread post by DAV » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:15 pm

thank you for the reply, I had someone else tell me about that evap solenoid but was not sure, is this a common problem? What causes this part to go out?

Meccboy

Unread post by Meccboy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:14 pm

Yes, fairly common. Set up was redesigned to prevent contamination. Even without this, it is a pretty common part to just fail, on many GM cars and trucks.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:15 pm

Meccboy wrote:Yes, fairly common. Set up was redesigned to prevent contamination. Even without this, it is a pretty common part to just fail, on many GM cars and trucks.
That's for sure Meccboy. Done a lot of these on cars !
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

Mog

1996 Chev 1500 engine issues

Unread post by Mog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:08 pm

I'm having a problem with my truck and looking for a little advice. Vortec 350, fuel inject with coil packs.
The truck normally runs great but I parked it about a month ago. Three days ago a went out to start it and it would turn over and then the motor would halt (like a compression stall.) I tried to start it for about ten minutes to no avail, it would cough and sputter a bit but nothing. The battery had been weak for a long time so I replaced it.

When I tried to start it with the new battery it turn over extreamly fast and then did the whole compression stall thing again. At this point I figured it was flooded so I let it sit for a bit and tried again. This time it did start but was running terrible--missing horribly and backfiring. I had under 1/8 tank of fuel in it and considered the possibility that maybe there was water in the fuel. I managed to get the rig to a gas station (barely) and filled the tank up with super unleaded and added a bottle of heat. I checked the oil and noted that it did in fact have a fuel smell to it so I definatly flooded the motor. Regardless I don't think flooding would account for the crazy behavior of the motor.

At this point I took the truck out on some back roads and ran it for a while. It did gradually cleare up to the point of running normally.

Yesterday I took it out again. This time there was a hesitation at steady throttle while under power but seemed to clear up when under heavy acceleration. The rig is also backfiring mildly on occasion, but nothing as nasty as the first day I started it--just quite pops once in a while. I'm going to put a tester on the vehicle tomorrow to check for codes but I was wondering if anyone may have any suggestions--I love this truck and I'm worried. Fowled plugs or maybe a semi plugged fuel filter?

When I run the diagnostic I'll put the results up.

Ganjty8

Re: 1996 Chev 1500 engine issues

Unread post by Ganjty8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Sounds like the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is leaking and causing it to be flooded.

Silverado

Burning to much gas

Unread post by Silverado » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:39 am

I have a 2000 model chevy silverado4.8l 1500series and it burns a lot of gas and there are no sensors light on can you please help

carriedi

Re: Burning to much gas

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:14 am

what does burn a lot of gas mean?

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/
is the .gov site for estimated fuel mileages.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.