Quantcast

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply    Go to page 1, 2  Next

contributions: 5
My 97 will not start if after trying to start I let the key return before it starts, once doing so all it will do is just crank and crank with no sign of starting. The check engine light will come on. Disconnecting the battery for several days (4) it started once connected again, the time before it was close to a month. Thanks for any help

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 319
You need to check fuel pressure on your Chevy Silverado. If the fuel pressure is a little low, it will not start. Also, check for carbon buildup in the throttle. This may be contributing to the fact that you think it is about to start, so you release the key, but it does not start.

The fuel pressure is good. When it is starting ok if I just release too soon after that it just will not start no matter if fuel is put into the carb, only after the battery is disconnected for 3 to 4 days, then it starts, if I make sure not to release too soon, and after it starts the check engine light goes out. Would the carbon build up cause the problem, if so I don't understand the starting once it has set with the battery disconnected only.
Thanks

contributions: 2002
you say your fuel pressure is good but what is the pressure reading you got? 60-66psi for CSI or 56-62 for SFI? A few psi can make a big difference. Also, you might want to check for spark. The distributor caps are famous for burning through. Try replacing the cap and rotor. It's pretty simple and not to expensive to try as a diagnostic procedure.

When it doesn't start, the engine still turns over fight? Engine cranks over but just won't start right?

Thanks carriedi,

Yesterday it cranked up an ran fine after the battery was disconnected again for 3 days, today the check eng.lite was on, today it. cranks but will not start. Letting it crank for about 15 seconds, it continues to kick over a couple times like the old smog pump motors of the early 70's when shut off. My 97 farm truck has a bad fuel pump and a little gas down the throat first start of the day and it's good all day, gas in this 97 and still no different than not adding the gas. I feel like it's not the fuel pump, but I haven't checked the distributor because of it starting after the battery is off a couple of days.

find out what the check engine light comes on for but I would still verify the cap is not the problem

The distributor is my next move, it's dead in the driveway today and rained all day, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks

so have you checked to see if you have spark when it won't start?

Ask A Question Reply    Go to page 1, 2  Next