1996 Chevy Silverado P0300 And P0154

sjbode

K2500 Shuts down

Unread post by sjbode » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:18 pm

I have a 1998 K2500 with a TBI 5.7. 2 weeks ago it started shutting down. it would start with a loss of power, goto where the engine would not go over 1500 rpm, the engine would knock and ping when the accelerator was depressed and then it would shut down. That whole process would take about a minute. Let it sit a few minutes it would start right up and run fine for 1-2 miles and then do the same thing. Got it home started it and let it idle for 45 minutes, not a miss, drive it a mile and same as above. Changed the fuel filter, took it out drove around for 30 minutes no problem. Next day made it five miles and it started to act up, not as severe but was not drivable in traffic but it did make it the five miles home knocking and pinging. The next time it did it it did shut down. And that is where it stands erratic but still present. Took FP Key on pump running 61psi, key on pump off 55 psi, running idle 50 but flutters 2psi, under load 60. When it acts up the needle bounces, I can not tell if the fluctuations are a cause or an effect of the erratic fuel demands when it is not running well . But it seems to hold 50psi fuel pressure once it is shut down. The tow truck driver that towed it home said he was certain it is fuel because the truck will not run right with less than 60psi. Fuel pump? Or? Any ideas are appreciated

Tom

Re: K2500 Shuts down

Unread post by Tom » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:51 am

The readings you are getting for the fuel pressure make this a difficult decision.
To be specific, fuel pressure at idle should be 55 PSI or more.
50PSI is close, and the other pressures are OK. This makes me think not a pressure problem.
60 PSI under load is enough that you should not have a power or acceleration problem.
Almost sounds like a plugged catalytic converter.
This would explain not getting higher RPM than 1500 RPM.

jknower

2003 chevy silverado dead every morning

Unread post by jknower » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:17 pm

HAD ALTERNATOR AND BATTERY CHECKED THERE FINE TRUCK DEAD EVERY MORNING HAVE TO GET JUMP VERY WORRIED ONLY MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION FOR CHILDREN

wildman

2003 Chevy Silverado Battery dead every morning

Unread post by wildman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:40 pm

The most common reason for over-night battery problems is the diode in the alternator. If you had it checked, did they mention if a diode check was run. Also, but not very common, is adding a radio and not wiring to the aux power and running it to stay hot (on and working) all the time- but this usually takes longer than overnight to dis-charge the battery.

Was there anything added to the vehicle recently>
Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free

ttt

1996 Chevy Silverado P0300 And P0154

Unread post by ttt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:13 pm

i have a 1996 chevy silverado with a 305 i keep getting trouble codes of p0154 and p0300 what might be wrong?

ProTech

Re: 1996 Chevy Silverado P0300 And P0154

Unread post by ProTech » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Well, you could have a couple different problems since you have two different codes. The first code, P0154 is for the oxygen sensor in the #1 position of bank #2 (right side of the engine). Usually it's just a faulty oxygen sensor that sets this code because the computer is seeing insufficient activity from it. Replace the sensor and that should take care of that particular code.

Now, for the P0300, that is a general misfire condition code. That means that one or more of the cylinders is experiencing a misfire condition. That can be due to faulty ignition components such as spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap and/or rotor. Or even a bad fuel injector can cause a misfire.

Another thing that can cause misfires is low cylinder compression do to a mechanical failure. This could be a burnt valve which is very common on your engine if it's got a lot of miles. You might want to do a compression check of all the cylinders if you can't find any ignition component or fuel injector bad.

One last thing, if your truck is equipped with dual catalytic converters, I've seen a bad one cause both conditions you're experiencing. Something to check as well...good luck!
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+