a/c stays cool

kevin

a/c stays cool

Unread post by kevin » Sun May 19, 2013 4:07 am

96 chevy 1500 350 a/c wont get cold. changed compresor, condensor, lines, orfis tube, pressure switch, clutch comes on and off like it should but the line only stays cool not cold. freon is full ive been a mechanic 20 yrs and its has my head spinning please help

ProTech

Re: a/c stays cool

Unread post by ProTech » Sun May 19, 2013 12:16 pm

If all the components are new and functional, it really could only be a couple different things. First off, and most common would be an incorrect amount of refrigerant in the a/c system. You should really double check that with an air conditioning recovery/recharge machine. Trusting the amount in a can of refrigerant or a quick charge kit is very unreliable.

Another possibility is a partially clogged evaporator core. If you've had any issues in the past with the system, or compressor issues, metal can get into the system and settle in the evaporator and/or accumulator and affect performance. Also check to make sure the cooling fan is working properly. If it isn't, it won't provide enough air across the condenser to cool the high side charge. A symptom of this would be warmer air at idle, but a cooler air as you drive the truck.

Lastly, it could be a problem in the heater case itself such as a temp door and not letting all the cool air get to the proper place. This probably is least likely to be your issue if the low side line is only cool to the touch as you say. That really means you most likely have an issue with the components or the charge.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

kevin

Unread post by kevin » Tue May 21, 2013 6:51 am

THE LOW SIDE LINE DOESNT GET COLD JUST COOL. THE HIGH SIDE LINE IS TO HOT TO TOUCH. I WORKED AT A GM DEALER FOR 15 YRS ALSO BUT AS AN ENGINE TECH. I HAVE THE RIGHT INTALLATION TOOLS AND HAVE THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF FREON. I WAS THINKING A CLOG AND IT MAKES ALOT OF SENSE . IS IT POSSIBLE THE NEW ORFIS TUBE IS CLOGGED WITH OIL OR SOMETHING. THANKS FOR THE INPUT IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE INPUT PLEASE TELL AND ITS NOT COOL THAT YOU SAY THAT YOU KNOW MORE THAN I DO. I WORKED AT JIM CAUSLEY PONTIAC DEALER FOR 15YR AND BILL LEE OLDS FOR 3 JUST DIDNT DO A/C. AND NOW HAVE MY OWN MOBILE SERVICE. THIS SITE IS TO HELP PEOPLE WHEN THEY ARE IN A JAM. LIKE ONE TECH TO ANOTHER. SO YOU KNOW MORE THAN ME THEN YOU MUST KNOW ME. THANKS

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Tue May 21, 2013 9:27 am

It's just my signature, dude...chill out. It wasn't directed towards you personally, it's on every post I make.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+