1998 chevy 4 wheel silverado ext cab short bed

lovbball_1999

Chevy S10 4.3 V6 Tune up Question

Unread post by lovbball_1999 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:39 pm

I did a tune up on my 1993 Chevy S10 4.3 V6. I did plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Now I cannot get the truck to start. I checked the rotor position and all my connections are good everywhere else. It will crank but will not turn over. Battery power is good. Is there anything that I could be missing? It has to be something simple. I'm thinking about taking the new wires back to the store because I don't know if they are bad.
Please help me I am pretty much out of ideas.

TerryAuto

Re: Tune up

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:29 am

Is there any spark on any if the spark plug wired down at the plugs when trying to start it?
There is no way all the plug wires are bad.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

iwdmike

1998 chevy 4 wheel silverado ext cab short bed

Unread post by iwdmike » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:48 pm

I recently had a starting problem with the truck, seem like no fuel to the engine. I took it to the machanic which I was told there is three issues - bad fuel pump or bad fuel pressure regulator or both. I told him to start with the pressure regulator,it was the cheaps to fix and give the truck a tune -up - spark plugs, filters, change the oil.. This fixed the truck to a point, the fuel pump will need to be replaced down the line, he said i have about a month or more before it becames a problem. I picked up the truck and while driving home the "check engine soon" lites up for the first time. I take it to a friend. he runs a test that reads "PO 171 System too lean (bank 1) PO 174 System too lean (bank 2). So i take the truck back to the mechanic ,he runs the same test with the same results. He than checks out the truck says everything is fine, it is telling me the fuel pump is going bad. he repeats,you have a little time before it needs to be replaced. He than clears the "check engine soon" lite. I drive the truck home and the lite is back on. this is the history of what when down.

My question is :

With this code number and the fact the "check engine soon" lite on Is he right saying to continue driving the truck. I am not a mechanic, but to me it sounds like a fuel air mixture problem - when i hear "system too lean" - i do not want to burn the valves or pistons. i just remember as a kid my car buff friends and their cars saying things like that. Can anybody help me with that?

Thanks

wildman

Re: 1998 chevy 4 wheel silverado ext cab short bed

Unread post by wildman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:50 pm

Without another code for map, oxygen, or another sensor showing up- and it just saying lean would have me changing the fuel pump- especially if I knew it wasn't pumping volume (which I assume the mechanic checked the pressure). Driving it like it is may cause you a wrecker bill along with the repair cost, so changing things as they are screaming (by illuminating the light) is always the best way IMHO
I know sometimes it seems like one thing after another but knowing the parts are new can be good too. At least you know what isn't going to be your next expense or reason for sitting beside the road waiting for a tow.
Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free

Hollywood

Re: 1998 chevy 4 wheel silverado ext cab short bed

Unread post by Hollywood » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:30 pm

the mechanic could be right, the motor is monitoring and compensating for not enough fuel getting to it