All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

I recently had a starting problem with the truck, seem like no fuel to the engine. I took it to the machanic which I was told there is three issues - bad fuel pump or bad fuel pressure regulator or both. I told him to start with the pressure regulator,it was the cheaps to fix and give the truck a tune -up - spark plugs, filters, change the oil.. This fixed the truck to a point, the fuel pump will need to be replaced down the line, he said i have about a month or more before it becames a problem. I picked up the truck and while driving home the "check engine soon" lites up for the first time. I take it to a friend. he runs a test that reads "PO 171 System too lean (bank 1) PO 174 System too lean (bank 2). So i take the truck back to the mechanic ,he runs the same test with the same results. He than checks out the truck says everything is fine, it is telling me the fuel pump is going bad. he repeats,you have a little time before it needs to be replaced. He than clears the "check engine soon" lite. I drive the truck home and the lite is back on. this is the history of what when down.

My question is :

With this code number and the fact the "check engine soon" lite on Is he right saying to continue driving the truck. I am not a mechanic, but to me it sounds like a fuel air mixture problem - when i hear "system too lean" - i do not want to burn the valves or pistons. i just remember as a kid my car buff friends and their cars saying things like that. Can anybody help me with that?

Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 50
Without another code for map, oxygen, or another sensor showing up- and it just saying lean would have me changing the fuel pump- especially if I knew it wasn't pumping volume (which I assume the mechanic checked the pressure). Driving it like it is may cause you a wrecker bill along with the repair cost, so changing things as they are screaming (by illuminating the light) is always the best way IMHO
I know sometimes it seems like one thing after another but knowing the parts are new can be good too. At least you know what isn't going to be your next expense or reason for sitting beside the road waiting for a tow.

Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free

contributions: 2
the mechanic could be right, the motor is monitoring and compensating for not enough fuel getting to it

Ask A Question Reply