96 Chevy Tahoe engine stalling

knightplr

96 Chevy Tahoe engine stalling

Unread post by knightplr » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:14 pm

i have a 1996 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.7 engine that had an intake gasket blow and dumped all the water in the oil and after a friend added 5 more gallions of water without checking where the water was going caused the motor to lock up. so i rebuilt the engine and got it put in and runs great exept for 1 problem.after i get over 35 mph if i hit the breaks to stop the engine stalls. the engine will stall even if i put the tranny n neutral as im going down the road.it does it mainly after the engine is at normal temp.if i let off the breaks when i see the tach drop the engine starts running again,but i have to let off quick or it dies all together.i cant find any wires that i missed hooking up and with the back wheels off the ground and truck in gear the engine wont stall. i have disconnected the break boster,still same thing.disconnected egr valve,same thing and disconnected the anti lock breaks,same thing.i have pulled on all the wiering harnesses while the engine is running and no change.any ideas where to look next? ps the only engine codes is rapid miss fire and a new set of wires stoped that.also it seems not to stall as bad after i cleared the missfire code and after unhooking the egr valve had to clear that code.

Meccboy

Re: 96 Chevy Tahoe engine stalling

Unread post by Meccboy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:20 pm

You may have a EGR valve partially open. Could be a MAP sensor that is not accurate, but did not set a check engine light code. Check for vacuum leaks. May have the timing off a tooth.

landis1974

Truck is hard starting when it is cold

Unread post by landis1974 » Sun May 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Why does my 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe have problemes starting when it cold and when warm no problems

ProTech

Re: Truck is hard starting when it is cold

Unread post by ProTech » Sun May 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Normally a cold start problem is fuel related, whether it be a fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, etc. As long as all the ignition components check out ok, which I'm assuming they will, you should start doing some fuel system diagnosis.

I'd definitely recommend a fuel pressure check when hot, and when cold to see the difference. You should have a minimum of 55psi with the key on and the pressure should hold steady. If it's less, or if it drops off, then you have a problem. That could be a leaking fuel pressure regulator, which is inside the plastic plenum on the intake manifold...or...a fuel pump that isn't putting out enough pressure. That could be from a restriction like a clogged fuel filter, or just a bad pump.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Richierich

Ran out of gas have to prime carburetor

Unread post by Richierich » Mon May 15, 2017 5:23 am

Chevy Tahoe wwon't start. Acts like it is out of gas. Have to prime carburetor sometimes it will start and sometimes won't. Started on it's own the next day, drove it ten miles turned it off won't start.

carriedi

Re: Ran out of gas have to prime carburetor with gas starts

Unread post by carriedi » Mon May 15, 2017 10:49 am

make, model, year and engine will help to figure what's going on. Once it starts, does it stay running fine?

How do you prime it to get it started?

Is it mostly the first time you start it in the morning (after a long engine cool down) or anytime you start (you start it and then shut it down and then try to restart)
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.