All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

contributions: 2
Hello Everybody,

I am a newbie in this Forum, but definately not a newbie to wrenching on my own vehicles.

I have had this 95 Blazer for about 2 years now, and if I get the answers I think I'm going to get here, it may be time for the crusher to claim another one...but I sincerely hope not. Me and my Pooch still like rolling around town in it, lots of room for him and me.

Anyways to the point...I have been having stalling problems for some time and had finally decided it was time to replace the fuel pump. Before I did however, I replaced the O2 sensor, the Fuel Pressure Regulator, and serviced a sticky EGR Valve.

Upon completion of replacing the fuel pump and repositioning the fuel tank to its proper location, with extreme difficulty I might add, the Blazer started and ran like a charm for all of a day and a half.

Returning to a parts store to return a part that was purchased but not required, it stalled, as I turned into the lot, fighting with the steering wheel to get parked properly, I noticed white smoke coming from the tail pipe...SOAB...was my immediate response. I tried restart, and it cranked for a while with white smoke billowing out of the exhaust pipe, then went clunk...tadaa...game over.

Now, past experience has taught me to suspect a blown head gasket..NOW TO THE QUESTION...When I replaced the fuel tank the vent connection at the front of the tank may have been disconnected, SOOOO, could driving the blazer with this vent disconnected be responsible for the white smoke, or is it totally unrelated? It also won't turn over when trying to start, just a clunk...and nothing.

Thanks for reading,

Snow Daddy

Also, should I lower the tank again and reconnect the hose to the vent and reset the PCM to see if it WILL start?

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 2038
it sounds bad. have someone try to start the engine while you look at the balancer on the crankshaft. does it turn around? if it doesn't turn take the key out of the ignition and see if you can put a socket and ratchet on the crank bolt and turn the engine. You could take all the spark plugs out, disable the ignition system and see if the engine will turn over now. disable the ignition system because if the engine is locked up because of a fuel leak, it could catch on fire when you go to crank it over and gas shoots out of the cylinder with live spark plug wires to ignite it. IT DOES HAPPEN! it is possible that the engine is locked up because either fuel or coolant has filled up a cylinder. Removing the plugs will let the engine pump the liquid out at extreme pressure, you may want to close the hood. at least be careful. if the engine turns over now you know what's happening. If it's fuel look for a fuel leak. if it's coolant you need to figure out if it's head gasket of intake.

if it still won't turn over it is probably mechanical and engine time

contributions: 2
Yup, it's bad...

"see if you can put a socket and ratchet on the crank bolt and turn the engine"

Did this and it will not go all the way around, get it so far, and no further. I have decided to put this baby to rest.

Off to the bone yard today.

Thanks for the response...but I would still like to know if the vapor valve possibly being disconnected could have caused this, or was it just time for the engine to croak???

contributions: 2038
there are always things that will amaze me when it comes to what could happen to cars and trucks. A line off of the gas tank shouldn't have anything to do with the engine locking up. But... anything is possible

Ask A Question Reply