2001 Blazer. No reverse, but still have first gear.

urabuszar

digital dash cluster flaking out

Unread post by urabuszar » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:10 pm

the digital dash cluster is flaking out in my 94 s-10 blazer. the turn signals, speedometer and odometer remain working. all other parts of the display is blank. i replaced this cluster about a year ago with a boneyard part. are there separate grounds for different parts of the cluster and where do the grounds terminate? are these clusters notorious for failure? should i just go find another boneyard part?

JK

Re: digital dash cluster flaking out

Unread post by JK » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:12 pm

These clusters are notorious for failing this way.
smacking on the dash usualll will cause the sections to go on and off, but not always.
There is no seperate ground for these sections.
The fact that you got a unit from a junk yard, just means that it was time for this one to fail.
if you get another this way, no telling how long it will last

gwcchatt

Re: digital dash cluster flaking out

Unread post by gwcchatt » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:09 pm

Have a 1993 myself, and it does not have the digital, you can replace with the other type, they plug in the same, so if you dont care if it is digital or not, just get the other type, will work just fine! But if you do, then am afraid you will just have the same results!
gwcchatt

djkretek27

2001 Blazer. No reverse, but still have first gear.

Unread post by djkretek27 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:56 pm

My 2001 Chevy Blazer started revving really high on my way home from work. I kept the speed low to avoid overtaxing it. By the time I got home it seemed as if everything was alright and I just chalked it up to some anomalous weirdness. The next day, I have no reverse gear. All other gears engage without issue. I don't have a lot of money and am really dreading a transmission rebuild. Does this scenario sound familiar to anyone? Is there something I can do easily to check or figure out what the cause may be? I have pretty limited knowledge of these types of issues and am really hoping for some awesome advice!

carriedi

Re: 2001 Blazer. No reverse, but still have first gear.

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:44 pm

I don't have anything encouraging to say about your predicament. It sounds like a trans rebuild is in your very near future. The engine reving up while you were driving sounds like your trans was slipping. You say the the forward gears all seem to work ok for now but you might want to verify that you have all the gears. Hows your trans fluid level, color and smell? If the level is full I think your going to need some trans work. But, I am not a trans expert. Maybe some one else will add to this post that might have more insight into this problem but I wouldn't keep your hopes up to high.

something from another source: "Slow, slipping or no reverse: reverse clutches are worn out, fluid leak in the reverse apply circuit, or broken sunshell. It is possible to remedy a fluid problem by removing the checkball from its cage in the case in the rear of the trans may help (must remove valvebody), or adding a high-viscosity additive such as Lucas Transmission additive or other seal restorer product. May also have worn boost valve (can replace in the pan)."

but I would recommend you take it to a tranny shop to verify what should be done
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.