1999 chevy truck VSS code and shifting problem

Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, Trailblazer to the Equinox, Blazer and Venture Van.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevy truck questions now.
bigfig

1999 chevy truck VSS code and shifting problem

Unread post by bigfig » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:11 am

First time on site so let me see if I know as much asi think -well I have seen qustions close to mine.problem is with a 4L60E (16-bolt pan) it is in a 1999k-1500 4by4 with a 5.7L or 350CI whatever you want to call it. I scaned it and got a po500 & 501.

I think it been a while back anyway it said it was the VSS and the other code said low input to the VSS- vehicle speed sensor.so now the coupe'degra I bought the trk late 04 and got lots of maint recp 1 for a new trans & transfercs so now the symtoms with eng warm or not put in dr start rolling & no spdomitr (then I can tell it will only dr in 1st &2nd)so I go 1 mile or 15 just easeing along then shut it off maybe 5or30 min start it up put in drive move40ft spdomitr starts working trk shifts fine so what is it ?

I've been told just the vss to the whole trans bad (also can anyone tell me where the vss is located at on that trans or case) been told 25 diff places on that to thank you for the info!

carriedi

Re: 1999 chevy truck VSS code and shifting problem

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:17 am

I wish I could tell you it's a pinpoint item. But, cars don't work like that any more. Your transmission is probably NOT your problem. There is a gear in the trans-system that turns the VSS sensor. the vss sensor sends the signal to the instrument cluster. the instrument cluster then sends the signal to the ecm. You could have a bad sensor, a bad cluster or a bad ecm. (Not to mention wiring) You will need to have a scanner and a graphing dvom or a lab scope. you have to look at the signal coming out of the speed sensor and watch the scanner to see if the vss is not sending the signal or it is sending a signal but the ecm is not getting it. The instrument cluster may be dropping the signal.
Attachments
chevy_k1500_transfercase.jpg
Chevy Truck K1500 4x4 transfer case picture.
chevy_k1500_transfercase.jpg (74.98 KiB) Viewed 8166 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Georgieboy97

transmission leak

Unread post by Georgieboy97 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:40 pm

I have a 4l80e in a P30 chassis. (Motorhome) I have changed the rear seal, dropped the pan and put in a new filter and oil.
I went on a trip with my car trailer attached. Everything worked fine,(overdrive, cruise shift points). After parking it for a few days , on level ground
the trans has a slow leak at the rear. This unit also has a drum brake on it for parking. The inside of the brake is dry except for a small amount of oil at the bottom.
I'm stumped. Any suggestions. Thank you.

carriedi

Re: transmission leak

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:04 pm

ok, I am hearing about what you did but I don't have any idea about why you did it. Did you have a leak before? is that why you changed those parts?

If you notice a small leak after it has been sitting for a while, where does it look like it is coming from? You may have to clean everything underneath and let it sit and see where the leak originates from. When you did the rear seal, how did the surface of the metal yoke look and feel? Did it have a worn area where the old seal rubbed on it? You may need to replace the yoke on the drive shaft or put a speedi-sleeve over the worn area to give it a smooth contact area.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.