2000 chsvy venture poor heat

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
joewood

2000 chsvy venture poor heat

Unread post by joewood » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:57 pm

2000 chevy venture heating problem. I have a 2000 Chevy Venture not putting out heat. The coolant level is full in the radiator and the reservoir. Not losing coolant, so I'm not suspecting head gasket. there seems to be some sort of valve going to the heater core (a solenoid of some kind? ) on the upper right side of the motor near the coolant reservoir. One side seems to be hot, and the other side doesn't. It has 2 hoses attached to it. I bled the system by opening the bleeder going towards the thermostat, but haven't gotten any kind of respectable heat. The temp gauge will go up to and hang out about half and 3/4 and gunning the engine a few times drops it down. I don't know if the rear heat is attached and working, but also the indicators on the control panel on the dash when switching from face, face/foot heat to foot/defrost or any other variant goes from inside air to outside air light on the panel without changing it myself. when moving, temp gauge drops down to about 1/4 but that would be expected from airflow over the motor and cooling fins of the radiator
I have considered running a piece of pipe to the two sides of the solenoid/valve on top of the motor near the coolant reservoir and bypassing that valve to see if that works, but not sure if that would be the problem and if that needs to be replaced, but I don'e get a diagram showing that valve

carriedi

Re: 2000 chevy venture poor heat

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:36 am

can you find the two hoses that go into the firewall for your heater core? Follow only those hoses. what do they go to? Feel those two hoses when the engine coolant gauge says the engine is warmed up.

Some models have a coolant pump inline. #8 in the diagram. is that what you are talking about? Have you checked to see if the pump is turning on? Or that it is getting power?

the temperature blend door could also be a problem.
Attachments
00venture.jpg
Chevrolet Venture van coolant and heater hoses and pipe locations.
00venture.jpg (127.45 KiB) Viewed 14822 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

joewood

Re: 2000 chsvy venture poor heat

Unread post by joewood » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Yes #8 is what I am talking about. on one side it is hot on the other not hot, both hoses seem to go to the heater core. The air door, when switched from face, face and floor, defrost, all seem to be moving the air in the right places in all combinations. It's just the heat is not good, and switching the air flow from face, face/floor to defrost/floor, floor, defrost only makes the indicator go from inside air to outside air, not what you want when it's 15 to 20 degrees out. Now to figure how to check for power to the inline pump, if that is the problems.

Thanks carriedi