1999 Malibu kicking effect when stopped

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
mstanton

1999 Malibu kicking effect when stopped

Unread post by mstanton » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:59 pm

My 99 Malibu engine runs great when in neutral and rides great on highway. The problem is during a stop at a light or stop sign when the engine feels like it is kicking. It stops if the car is put in neutral. I just spent over $2500 getting new gaskets, fuel pump...and 100K tuneup due to coolant in the engine. Not whining but car has to last until I find a new job after 25 yrs of working for same job. Downsizing! Please advise. Problem is slowly getting worse.

ProTech

Re: 1999 Malibu kicking effect when stopped

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Well, by 'kicking' I'll assume you mean it is misfiring. Usually a light misfire will appear to go away when there is a light load or no load on the engine, such as being in neutral or traveling at highway speeds. You might want to start by going over the repairs that were done previously. It could be something as easy a spark plug wire that is not fully connected. Otherwise, you could be looking at a bad spark plug, wire, coil, module or sensor that is causing the rough idle. A scan for trouble codes, or to watch live data from the vehicle's computer would be a good idea as well to help aid in the direction of diagnosis.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Billy776

Chevy Malibu brake pad installation

Unread post by Billy776 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:10 pm

I am putting in brake pads on my 2004 Chevy Malibu and there's a tab on one of them that sticks out and is preventing the pad from sliding into the slot where the old one was...the old one has this tab sticking out too, but because the pad was worn the tab wasn't impeding the pad from sitting properly on the rotor face...the new one does. It's only an mm off or maybe two from where it should be seated. If I put the caliper back on, will that push this one pad further into the slot?

ProTech

Re: Chevy Malibu brake pad installation

Unread post by ProTech » Thu May 02, 2013 6:47 pm

This happens a lot and is an easy fix. If you take a closer look at the pads, there are two with larger tabs and two with smaller tabs. You've probably get them mixed up, or have two of the same with the large tabs going on one rotor. You need to have one small tab brake pad and one large tab brake pad on each side. Take a look at the caliper and you'll see a groove in the metal retainer that is meant for the larger tab. This will mean the pad with the larger tab goes on the inboard side of the rotor.

Put them in the right place and the caliper will sit down nicely on the mounting bracket. If they are installed wrong, you'll feel the caliper pushing back up at you as you try to install it.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

chevy04

Unread post by chevy04 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:53 pm

How do you access the brake line union, located directly beneath the driver's side headlight, which is recessed on the cross member of the frame? I want to replace the front brake lines. What do I need to remove? Is it accessed from above or below? Thanks

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Wed May 20, 2015 11:28 pm

That brake line is accessed from below and is quite difficult to get to. You will need a couple of line wrenches. It will also help to remove the mounting bracket of the line further down to get it off the frame and make it easier to get to.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.