Theft system bypass on 2002 malibu

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
babyshan1988

Chevy Malibu 2000 takes 15minutes to start

Unread post by babyshan1988 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:11 am

My Malibu is not starting like normal it takes me turning the key several times before the car will actually start up. What could cause this?

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: Chevy Malibu 2000 takes 15 minutes to start

Unread post by butchkaz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:52 pm

If you mean that the engine just cranks and cranks and cranks but won't start, then you could have one of two problems. You could have a weak or failing fuel pump. You would need to have a fuel pressure gauge on the engine when it is acting up and not starting properly to see if the pressure is low or zero.
Another common cause for engine cranks and cranks but won't start is a leaking fuel pressure regulator. When they fail, they leak gas into the regulators vacuum hose. This causes an extremely rich condition in the engine. Similar to an older car that is flooded. Another characteristic of a leaking fuel pressure regulator is that when it finally does start the engine runs rough and hesitates until you stepped on the gas a few times to blow it out. To check the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) shut the engine off after it has been running for a little while, let it sit for five or 10 minutes, then remove the vacuum hose from it and see if there is raw gas inside or if it smells like gas. If you see or smell gas then it must be replaced.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

maggieg

Chevy Malibu Passlock Ignition cylinders keep going bad

Unread post by maggieg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:44 pm

What would make ignition cylinders too fail. I have a 2003 malibu and I have had to replace the ignition cylinder 3 times in 3 years.

ProTech

Re: Chevy Malibu Passlock Ignition cylinders keep going bad

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Could just be bad luck, or if you've got a bunch of other things wired into the car such as alarms, remote starters, stereo equipment, etc...that can cause a heavy load on the electrical systems on the car and screw things up.

One thing I might add, if you've been replacing the ignition cylinder with a non-factory part, that is probably your issue. Aftermarket parts are just plain junk. If you've been installing a GM part, you should discuss it with your local dealer or parts department as they might take care of it for you.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

bethjohnson

Theft system bypass on 2002 malibu

Unread post by bethjohnson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:23 pm

i have a 2002 malibu theft system engages alot i had to change ignition and cylinder while back and now i have to do the ten minute key on ten off on etc so i want to know if there is a way i can do away with (disconnect) the theft system? i love this car but tired of the theft system

ProTech

Re: Theft system bypass on 2002 malibu

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:14 pm

We can't recommend any ways of bypassing the factory theft deterrent system on this site. Yes, it probably can be done, but you're just looking at more issues down the road. If you've replaced the ignition cylinder, that usually takes care of the problem. You may have other issues causing your theft light, such as a faulty body control module for example. With that, bypassing the theft will not work.

You should really just get the problem addressed, fixed, and then be done with it.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

barfield2546

Re: Theft system bypass on 2002 malibu

Unread post by barfield2546 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:41 am

Its very simple to bypass. After paying to have my theft system fixed two years after buying my car its a used car. I had to pay around 1200 dollars to have my theft system replaced I had it start going bad again. After searching long and hard I found a way to bypass it.
If your car can still crank up that will help. It took me four trys to finally get mine started. Once started remove your radio , disconnect it and on the left side in the cavity where the radio was look for three wires wrapped in tape.
There will be a black wire a yellow wire and another color wire that I cant remember. Make sure your car is running unwrap the three wires and cut the yellow wire in two. Put a wire nut on each end push the wires back and install the radio. The theft system light will stay on but the car will still run and crank. You can't do anything about the theft light but your problem will be solved. It's what I did to save another 1200 dollars. Hope this helps.