Chugging 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Ladybug1956

Chugging 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo

Unread post by Ladybug1956 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Help,,i have a 2004 Monte Carlo SS 3.8 litre K motor(non supercharged) .I have been having a problem with a chugging on start up for a few months now. It usually happens after I've been out in the car ,not on a cold start. It shakes the whole car, and it can happen every time I restart when on errands. It goes away as soon as I accelerate. My partner is a mechanic. He says its not the catalytic converter because of no rotten egg smell. He has tried....new spark plugs, cleaned injectors, replaced twice the IAC valve, replaced the upper intake (which WAS leaking coolant), replaced oxygen sensor, and I filled car with the highest grade gas on a 5 hour trip to try and burn off carbon. Need to figure this out before the cold weather comes, as it will probably make things even worse. He has hooked it up to a computer, it reads misfire. Any ideas would be extremely appreciated !! Thank You ..

carriedi

Re: Chugging 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:24 am

you may want to check your 3800 fuel pressure regulator for a leak through the diaphragm. Cold, your engine needs more fuel. Warm, your car doesn't need as much fuel and too much fuel will flood cylinders. (Rotten egg smell means your catalytic converter is working. It also would mean your are running rich. not a sign of converter being bad)

you will need to watch the misfire counter to see what cylinders are misfiring when your car is running bad. Is it always certain ones or is it random, or all of them. Is it tied to certain cylinders that are tied together at the coil packs? Spark plug wires could be shorting too. See what the fuel trims are when the car is acting up. There are so many thing that can interrupt normal performance. Watching what your computer sees and how it is reacting is one of the best things you can do to diagnose what is happening.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Yes, I agree. The fuel pressure regulator is the most likely cause. When they leak, fuel gets into the intake and causes a very rich condition, that is why it goes away if you rev the engine a few times.
3800 fuel pressure regulator
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

Ladybug1956

Unread post by Ladybug1956 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:10 pm

Thank you for your recommendations !! Ill let you know if they help the chugging,i just want this problem to be fixed !! :x