Oil Sending unit location on 3800 pontiac grand prix

Jerry

1991 Stalling. Fuel Pump or Crank Sensor?

Unread post by Jerry » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:45 pm

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix LE
3.1L V6
Replaced Fuel Filter

question = My car started periodically shutting off when driving. Usually takes a couple of times to get restarted. I had a mechanic check the car out and he found no codes and could not get car to shut off. He tested the fuel pump psi and said it was 35 when running, but went psi dropped when accelerating. He recommended changing the fuel pump, but also said problem could be the crank sensor. What do you think I should change 1st. Where is the crank sensor located on my car?

Meccboy

Re: 1991 Stalling. Fuel Pump or Crank Sensor?

Unread post by Meccboy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:48 pm

If the fuel pressure is dropping as, or before it is stalling, then yes, sounds like the fuel pump.
The crankshaft position sensor is located between the engine and the transmission. About in the middle of the block.
Can be very hard to remove. Easy to break it off in the block, then even harder to remove.
If replacing it, soak it real good with WD-40 and twist it and work it in and out before trying to remove.

Perry

Oil Sending unit location on 3800 pontiac grand prix

Unread post by Perry » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:04 pm

2001 pontiac grand prix 3800 check engine light. I need to know were the oil Preasure sending unit is I have a oil leak and trying to find it.

TerryAuto

Re: Oil Sending unit location on 3800 pontiac grand prix

Unread post by TerryAuto » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:31 pm

The oil pressure sending unit on your 3800 V6 is located behind the power steering pump on the back of the engine block.

You can get under the car on the passenger side and see it real good. To repalce it you are going to need a special oil sender socket. You can buy that at any parts store.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.