I got a weird problem...

trese

low oil pressure Pontiac Grand Am

Unread post by trese » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:26 am

When i start my car the oil light comes on motor shakes violently and then car cuts off and drains the battery.

ProTech

Re: low oil pressure pontiac grand am 1997

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Looks like you have quite a problem there! If the oil light is coming on, you could have some major internal engine damage due to low oil pressure/lack of oil. This may be the cause of the violent shaking you are experiencing, such a thrown rod or broken piston. If damage has occurred you will most likely be looking at having to replace the entire engine.

This would be best diagnosed in person, so I would suggest getting the car towed to a shop. Depending on miles and condition, this car might not be worth repairing or spending a few thousand dollars on to get it up and running again.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Thundetotem

I got a weird problem...

Unread post by Thundetotem » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:49 am

I have a 1996 Grand Am, and after driving it for a while, then parking for about 15 minutes, when I start it up it run kinda rough. After doing it a few times i will finally stall, and I have to wait over night for it to start up again normally. My mechanic says it might be the throttle control sensor or/and the idle air control valve. But he wants to catch it in the act before making the repairs.

carriedi

Re: I got a weird problem...

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:41 am

could be a fuel pump going out too. Just like when a starter goes bad, sometimes, before it completely goes out, it will start but not normally. It might just click a few times before it starts up. Or, the starter may drag before it starts up. Then one day it just doesn't work anymore.

But, like your mechanic said, it needs to be checked when it is acting up. If it's not acting, more than likely, there won't be any information that will tell you what happened when it was acting up. Did the check engine light ever come on? Did you have the engine scanned? scanning for one time codes or pending codes might show something even if a hard code was not set. Mode 6 might also show something. But, more than likely, you will need to have someone look at it when it is acting up to see what the engine is reacting to.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

bosslaydee36

Re: I got a weird problem...

Unread post by bosslaydee36 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:54 pm

Did you find out the problem? If it's the fuel pump, that really is not a hard do it yourself job. Did they check the thermostat? or you can check the idle air control valve and that's easy to check yourself.