Swapping Pontiac Grand Am 3.1L and 3.4L Motors

wesbritt

Swapping Pontiac Grand Am 3.1L and 3.4L Motors

Unread post by wesbritt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:05 pm

:mrgreen: hello does a 2005 grand am motor and transmission enter change with a 1996 grand am the 2005 has 3.4 v-6 motor and the 2001 has 3100 v-6

ProTech

Re: motors

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:41 pm

The dimensions are the same, and it will fit ok, but the sensor and wiring configuration are completely different from models that many years apart. This will not work as a replacement engine for your vehicle.

Yes it could be done, but it would be a lot more involved than you probably want to get with it. You'd have to change everything, including engine and transmission harnesses, computer, etc. The gauges most likely would not work inside the car since everything is different and you'd be replacing everything.

A lot more work than it's worth, just find a similar year engine/trans.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

wesbritt

Re: Swapping Pontiac Grand Am 3.1L and 3.4L Motors

Unread post by wesbritt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:36 am

THANKS BRO FOR THE HEADS UP can i ask you some thing else the 2001 gran prix has trasmission probles and it regester to texas so i dont thing it has much smog equiptment but this is what i want to know are tranimission easy to find for it and on a scale of 1-10 how hard would it be to replace"transmission" and how much price wise would it cost for a used one or is it cheaper to a that transmission rebuilt. now for my last question G.M. wants 823.00 for a new wiring harness for my gran am2005 v6 3.4 do you know where i could find a car without the motor so i could put my motor in it for less than the wiring harness

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Used transmissions are readily available throughout the country at most major junk yards or parts yards. You shouldn't have any trouble finding one at a decent price. Usually a decent used transmission is cheaper than doing a rebuild of the one you have.

To install another transmission isn't an extremely difficult job, but you do have to have some support fixtures for the engine, since the subframe has to be dropped out to remove the transmission. Everything else is pretty straight forward from there.

Also, I'm not from your area so I have no idea where you could find a car without an engine. Try the local for sale ads or junkyards I guess.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Unread post by Guest » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:24 am

How long does it take to swap out one of these engines?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:27 pm

book time for long block is 18.3 hours
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.